Hi From Tennessee

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yes, welcome Angie! I hope you find this change of "lifestyle" to be more fulfilling than the one you are transitioning from.

If you really want to get your compost going quickly, try looking around for free materials to add . . . neighbor's leaves, coffee grounds from local cafes, etc. The more material you have and the more you fuss over it (turn it, keep the right amount of moisture, etc.) the faster it will turn into the good stuff.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Yes, welcome Angie! I hope you find this change of "lifestyle" to be more fulfilling than the one you are transitioning from.

If you really want to get your compost going quickly, try looking around for free materials to add . . . neighbor's leaves, coffee grounds from local cafes, etc. The more material you have and the more you fuss over it (turn it, keep the right amount of moisture, etc.) the faster it will turn into the good stuff.
Thanks so much for your help! I have really stopped and took a look at survival for our future. I have no question that I can make it with all the things I learned as a child.

My plans for a more frugal life are below.....

1. Planting and harvesting a garden.
2. Composting
3. Raising Chickens, a pig and a cow
4. Baking all my bread
5. Purchasing no cleaning supplies other than laudry det.
6.Carpooling to town weekly with my neighbor to save gas
7. Purchasing all my clothing needs at my local Goodwill and Thrift

I have lots of things that I can do. I'm on such a tight budget. I have 50.00 a week to spend on groceries....so I have to be very careful what I purchase. I never buy soft drinks or chips, cookies, etc. I just don't know what's going to happen if food keeps going up we can barely make it now.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Angie,

You can actually make your own laundry detergent if you want to. I've been making mine for a few months now and like it alot better than any I have ever purchased.

As my store bought cleaners are used up, I am making my own from now own, too.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
punkin said:
Angie,

You can actually make your own laundry detergent if you want to. I've been making mine for a few months now and like it alot better than any I have ever purchased.

Punkin,
Tell me how you make it. Also....have you checked to make sure it's truly cheaper, that's what I'm after, that's it's a better bargain.

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi,
I am interested in your methods of making your own cleaners also, and the cost savings...I notice often that the ingredients are less harsh than the chemicals used in the store products too, which I like....I was just wondering if there was a thread or post I am missing that you could guide me to that has the ingredients for these home made products that seem so useful>
I also have some great books that I can look stuff up in, if anyone is interested, and I could post some ideas from them too...
Tina/tfpets

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
angie68 said:
punkin said:
Angie,

Punkin,
Tell me how you make it. Also....have you checked to make sure it's truly cheaper, that's what I'm after, that's it's a better bargain.
Dry Laundry Soap

1 cup grated Fels Naptha (I can't find this so I just use Ivory Soap)
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
1 cup dry bleach

Mix & store in airtight container. I use 3-4 tbsp. depending how dirty that load is.

This costs about $.03-.05 per load. The store bougt costs about $.15 per load. I think it leaves my clothes softer and they don't have all those perfumey smells.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
BYC had quite a thread going on homemade detergent. It would be nice if it could get copied onto SS.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :D I think you'll like it here! Good folks and good stuff to read!

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Punkin for the recipe, I'll try it! I'm all for saving money.

I don't have my recipes in front of me, but I use ALOT of vinegar. You wouldn't believe how clean it gets your floors, tubs, sinks, counters.....etc....the best thing is......the smell goes away in about 10 mins! You can even use a 1/4 cup for your laundry instead of fabric softner, it's amazing how soft your clothes get!

I use white vinegar. I buy it by the gallons for 1.99.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
angie68 said:
punkin said:
Angie,

Punkin,
Dry Laundry Soap

1 cup grated Fels Naptha (I can't find this so I just use Ivory Soap)
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
1 cup dry bleach
Can any of you help me find accurate information on what is in Fels-Naphtha soap. I've seen disagreeing info about whether it contains dangerous solvents and what safer alternatives might be. I've been making the gel type laundry detergent using it and I love it. I'm just trying to wipe out that last little concern.
Mix & store in airtight container. I use 3-4 tbsp. depending how dirty that load is.

This costs about $.03-.05 per load. The store bougt costs about $.15 per load. I think it leaves my clothes softer and they don't have all those perfumey smells.

Latest posts