Hi Marie here

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA.....not just an accent you may have but, some words and phrases will need explanation. 🤔 :love one that comes to mind is "bonnet" which we call a hood...on a car. 😁. I'm sure we have things to explain, too. It's fun to learn.

As to gardening, have you tried straw bale, container or raised beds?

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been gardening with raised beds (framed with 2x12's) for over 20 years now. Expensive to set up, but once they are in place you save on water and whatever fertilizers or supplements you use because you only use them in the beds themselves, and weeding seems to be easier to control. Over time, the soil in those beds has gotten so rich with humus that they can go for much longer between waterings. I tried straw bale and container gardening and I didn't like how much water it took- the straw bales in particular seemed to need constant water. We live in the arid West, and there is almost NO rain throughout the summer, so having to water everything constantly is a chore.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Same here. Deep mulch, cardboard. I pick up wood chips at town dump compost area. always a struggle to have enough mulch.
Thank you for the welcome and good advice. :)

Now I'm wondering if the wood and straw from the coup be good to save to bulk out, I really have to start from scratch! .

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome from VA.....not just an accent you may have but, some words and phrases will need explanation. 🤔 :love one that comes to mind is "bonnet" which we call a hood...on a car. 😁. I'm sure we have things to explain, too. It's fun to learn.

As to gardening, have you tried straw bale, container or raised beds?
Hello :) thank you for your welcome.

Yes, we have many different phases and accents around the UK. It's the same because some of us could also do with a translator. :)

I have only just asked a question about straw too @Lazy Gardener . But I've never heard of bale planting, I have added straw to my potatoes soil in the past but didn't get a very good crop

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marie, I'll not use straw in my garden. Here, in the states, it is most likely to be contaminated with glyphosphates or other herbicides. Some of the new generation herbicides can poison your soil for DECADES. If you see curled/crinkled leaves or lack of growth after using straw, that could be your problem. I believe @CrealCritter poisoned his garden when he used some contaminated compost or manure on a garden spot. Perhaps he'll weigh in. I use hay from a local farmer, and am actually pleased to see it loaded with weeds. In spite of my long standing experience with him, I ask him, every single season if he's haying any fields that have been herbicide treated.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marie, I'll not use straw in my garden. Here, in the states, it is most likely to be contaminated with glyphosphates or other herbicides. Some of the new generation herbicides can poison your soil for DECADES. If you see curled/crinkled leaves or lack of growth after using straw, that could be your problem. I believe @CrealCritter poisoned his garden when he used some contaminated compost or manure on a garden spot. Perhaps he'll weigh in. I use hay from a local farmer, and am actually pleased to see it loaded with weeds. In spite of my long standing experience with him, I ask him, every single season if he's haying any fields that have been herbicide treated.
Thanks very much for your valuable advice. I will speak to the farmer that supplies my straw, it looks perfect. I found a really good way to store it now, it used to get damp in my make shift greenhouse so was wasted. I now use a screw on top bin and it looks as fresh as the day it arrived this way. But as I've said I will ask the farmer what his process is. :)