Hinotori's house

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great pics. It's really nice to see others pets....I too, have to protect my chickens from some of those critters....I have electric fences that really work. We have found very very large droppings where a bear intestinal muscles didn't work while hitting the fence... My chickens are also locked in the coop at night for protection.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neighbor's dog and hawks have been my predators. The bears and big cats are rare and rather skittish of going near dogs, and the dogs keep everything well marked. I had a buck come after me one fall, the dogs came rushing up to save me

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have this very heavy netting that goes over the whole chain link area, where the chickens run, to protect them. I have seen hawks fly over them and swoop down to try to get them without success..

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have netting over all my runs. To protect birds, and in the case of the big girls, keep them from flying over the 6 foot fence.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The eagles leave the chickens alone. they hunt the ducks on the pond. the hawks will go for free ranging chickens. well they girls pay better attention now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Predator_by_Seerisil.jpg
frequent_guest_in_our_tree_by_seerisil-d73xcfh.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh! That is very very cool....but not if they steal chickens.....but still cool....

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my anti-hawk defense system. I toss out old eggs in a specific spot to pay them. It keeps the ravens around to chase off the hawks.

Yes it's dark, but this picture was taken around 2pm and this is about as bright as it gets here during the day sometimes
IMG_7091.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love the pictures! My hawk protection is our Great Pyrenees. I have a female that leaps in the air snapping at them. One fall a flock of birds were migrating through our area and were flying low, hanging in the trees, Our GP went nuts, barking and running. I went outside and counted 5 hawks flying over the flock of migrating birds! No wonder they flitted from tree to tree! I put the chickens up and watched Mother Nature's drama. I didn't see a hawk score a kill and they eventually all flew away.

Latest posts