Hinotori's house

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkie eggs doing the slow cook. If everything goes smoothly, these will be New Years babies.

20161212_155629.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm in western Washington and mostly out in the country so we get a lot of wildlife.

The eagles have a large territory here. They nest a mile or so down the road. These like to hunt ducks out on the numerous small ponds around here. So they actually leave my chickens alone.

Now the red tailed hawks will happily take a chicken.

The ravens don't usually mess with the eagles, but they chase off the hawks. Chicks are kept penned away from ravens.

It's always funny hearing bald eagles call to each other. My chickens have more menacing voices than that chirping. That loud cry they always play when you see one on TV or movies is actually the sound of the much smaller red tailed hawk.

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
our son worked as a ranger in the cascades for a couple years so we were out there quite a bit. very lovely country.
we just had that discussion about eagles calls a couple of days ago. we have a resident red tail in our park near the house and it is very vocal. keeps the squirrel & rabbit population down, tho.
btw, what do you do with all your eggs?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sell the large fowl eggs usually. My big girls are getting up there in years so I dont get as much of them anymore.

We or the dogs/cats eat silkie eggs. It takes 3 of those to make a large egg. If I do pickled eggs, the silkie eggs are best because they are only a bite or two. Same with deviled eggs. Easier to eat when you can just put the whole thing in your mouth.

We do eat extra silkie boys as well. I know a lot of people have an issue with the black skin, meat, and bones. It still tastes like the chicken that it is in the end.