Hit by F3 Tornado

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The area where I live was hit by a F3 tornado Saturday at 3:11 PM. Just got hi speed Internet back about an hour ago. Spent the first hour emailing friends and family that I was fine.
I was sitting at this computer working on my taxes. I had filed my NC taxes the old fashioned pen and paper way because they had to be filed by 4/15. The IRS had given us till Monday. Like a fool I had bit on a "Free Turbo Tax efile site for Federal taxes" After entering all my data I learned that FREE was only for 'simple' forms and they now wanted about $75 plus a user's fee to file or even print or view MY data and I was trying to game the program to get enough info to file an extension but all it would tell me was refund= 0. I noticed a noise like a freight train and remembered that I had moved away from the railroad. Looked out the window at solid black with flying crap. Evidently the storm funnel had jumped my house and hit the one beside me because I had minor damage but the brick house beside me was mostly gone.
To keep this short I am a SS type of guy and I had tons of canned goods, candles, oil lamps, camp stoves etc. The most useful things were the small cheap 9 diode 3 AAA cell flashlights with glow in the dark coating picked up at Big Lots for $3 each which were in every room. Next was the dynamo powered multi diode work lights and last was a 3 diode head lamp which is great for reading or close work where you need both hands free. Power was out for 3 nights and I never used the candles or oil lamps (good for heat but it was warm here)
Never used the camp stove either The steno canned fuel stove did everything I needed, a little slow but it 'got it done' Breakfast food and crackers gave plenty of carbs. Cured sausage and cheese provided the protein and fat. City water never failed but I filled containers just in case.
3 rules. Big fancy vehicles will provide neither help nor information, they are only there to look and 'assess the conditions' 2 real help (and law enforcement) arrived via ATV, bicycles, pickup trucks, horseback and on foot.
3 volunteer groups and church groups are much quicker to respond and are more helpful than official groups like the Red Cross, fire departments and the forest service. The officials are just going through the motions; the volunteer groups want to help!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good grief. It is good to hear you are ok. Thank you for taking the time to let us know what happened and that you are ok.

We will have your friends and neighbors in our prayers.

Thank you for the helpful information gained form your scary experience.

:hugs

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wow, what an experience! Having recently experienced a F1 torando, I can barely imagine what it must have been like!!!

Glad you are ok, sorry about the neighbor's house though. Is the neighbor ok?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Wow, what an experience! Having recently experienced a F1 torando, I can barely imagine what it must have been like!!!

Glad you are ok, sorry about the neighbor's house though. Is the neighbor ok?
He apeared to be Ok when he left with his kids Saturday the tree limbs and "stuff' had me trapped in my mostly intact house until my other neighbor dug me out. I just checked, he is over there moving out, It was only 4/1 when he moved in! Everybody was in the other end of the house when my side caved in. I had never met the man turns out he had rented the place after the owner fixed it up for him. The fix up included a new roof now mostly gone with the wind! I wonder if the owner will rebuild or demo the place. The beauty and charm is gone without the trees. The whole neighborhood is pretty much treeless. Old 1970s neighborhood built by hippies and other free spirits that didn't want to be limited to standard houses.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to live in Bertie County. I have many friends and family there.

I am very glad you are okay. I will offer up prayers for you.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So glad that you and your neighbor are all ok!

And good to know that all your emergency planning paid off.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
So glad that you and your neighbor are all ok!We were fairly lucky the storm also hit a lowes building supply place (Like Home Depot) in the middle of a sat, afternoon also a brand new Big Lots (sort of clearance outlet working to be furniture store- low end prices) and a Tractor Supply (everything for the small or yard farmer) two were killed both in vehicles but the flipping was because they were picked up by the storm.

And good to know that all your emergency planning paid off.
To tell the truth I never even thought of a tornado I thought I was ready for herricanes that make landfall and I am 150 miles from the coast.~gd