hobobrando- my foraging adventures.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, poop! But it is taken care of, that's what counts. And you can do a LOT of planning and researching in six weeks! Plus, you are in Vermont, which is just North of where I am. So you have plenty of time. It is way too early to be tilling, the ground is still very wet. So be patient, buddy, your hand will be good as new by the time REAL spring rolls around!

Just glad you are ok!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My mom just broke her wrist so I know what you're going through. It's good that you got it checked out though. You'll see, six weeks will fly by and you'll be ready to go, good as new, just do what the doctor says and don't try to push it or you may re-injure it. Take care honey :hugs

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tomarrow I go to the orthapedis to see if I'm going to need a cast and if I do I'm going to see if they will shpe it to hold a ski pole :rolleyes: . I was wondering if anyone knows about the FFA, I would like to join but my high school lacks an agriculture program. Is there a way for me to join an out of school program or join a FFA in any way?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No ag programs in VERMONT?!?!? Yeesh! If you are determined, they will likely pay attention....I got another art class added when I was in HS in Maine and then did "private studies" in art for my senior year....so I got art classes all four years, when they only offered two years. Private studies means you design your own program and have a teacher mentor it, but you are responsible for getting the work in, etc. They will expect it to be better quality work than your normal classes, though.

I'm sure we can help you with the syllibus if needed! But someone else here might know about FFA for you.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There are programs all over Vermont but the FFA requires you be in an agriculture class and my highschool is like the only one without the ag class.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Try 4-H, hobo! Great out-of-school program for kids who want to have agricultural projects and enter them in the local fairs. You can make some really good money while learning. They have many, many types of projects available, from gardening and rabbits to beef and small business ventures. You name it, 4-H has it.

My middle son did a small business project through 4-H, got a farm loan of $500 to launch his own lawn care business when he was 14 yr. old. He used the money to buy a riding lawn mower and a dump cart. He made about $1500 on about 10 steady customers in one summer! Won first prize on his project and established some good credit by paying off the loan. My boys also had meat rabbit projects throughout the years, as we lived in a small town and couldn't have the larger livestock.

Find your local 4-H by asking at the local extension office! :thumbsup

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
4-H is a good idea I'll have to check into that. One of the reasons I was looking at FFA was beecause they offer school scolarships. But I do think there is a 4-H club near by, I think I will call tomarrow.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got some good news today on my broken hand, it should be completely healed in 3 weeks. I managed to finish my compost bin and let the chickens out to run wild today. I also have started planning out my vegetable garden on paper and looked into 4-H. I don't know if I'm to old to join or not. Later I have to do my homework and I have alot tonight.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:celebrate Great news on your hand!!! :weee and your compost bin, etc. I was never in 4-H, but I bet they will take you until you are 18 at least.....I hope!