Hogs for meat

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a loaded question to which you will not find a simple answer. Depends on what you're looking for in your meat and what's around you for breeds, and a whole bunch of other things. Do you care if they're heritage breeds?

I am personally pretty impressed with Duroc/Old Spot crosses. But I've heard Large Blacks are fantastic, and Berkshires are supposedly great. Just stay away from Yorkshires and mass produced hogs, they'll have low fat and not do well on the homestead.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes would prefer heritage breeds. Guess I have some studying to do... Good thing it's winter. Seems like I have like no time during the spring / summer / fall. I'm always running wide open.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our first pigs were Large Black/Berkshire crosses and the meat was very good. The second pigs were Red Wattle and their meat was very good also. The latest were grown hogs, mixed ??? :idunno We kept them 36 days, fed whole corn soured in goat milk whey. They were delicious!

I think the next time we raise hogs, the last month I will feed them soured corn.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think it matters much. I've never heard a bad thing about any of the heritage breeds so just see what's around you. Try a few out over the next few seasons and see what your favorite is. The Old Spot is delicious but they tend to get overly fatty if you overfeed them, as they do have a higher proportion of fat in the first place (which is what makes them delicious).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think it matters much. I've never heard a bad thing about any of the heritage breeds so just see what's around you. Try a few out over the next few seasons and see what your favorite is. The Old Spot is delicious but they tend to get overly fatty if you overfeed them, as they do have a higher proportion of fat in the first place (which is what makes them delicious).

Old Spot what's up with those funky ears? :Lol

Google image
006D73F400000258-0-image-m-10_1420671408863.jpg