Hogs for meat

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It doesn't take long to build a pig pen, depending on how fancy you make it, materials used etc… ;)

BUT, pig keeping in winter is not as smooth going and easy as in Spring when it's warmer and you don't have to struggle with frozen everything.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They also eat about twice as much food to gain the same amount of weight because they have to use energy staying warm... Not that you have winters like I do but still.

We use hog panels. We move them when they run out of fresh grass. It's a lot of work but our pigs are happy pigs and they're clearing some land for us and eating a little less food too!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have a fenced in garden? Perfect place for a couple of pigs. Do you have 4 cow panels? How fast can you go get them? You gotta get going on this pig thing...... Now that you know the difference between REAL meat and crap......:thumbsup

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can you eat mini pot belly pigs? There are two free 8 month old pigs on craigslist not far from here. I could keep them a short time, and then eat them?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Idk but I would try it! What have u got to lose?

.i want a pig!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. I saw another Craigslist ad for a free "large" "micro" boar. I'm wondering if I brought it home, and fed it for two months, maybe we could eat it? It's 4 years old. I've read a little on "micro" pigs and how big they really get, and how there really is no such thing as a "teacup" or "micro" pig.
@baymule, what do I need to have and know before I picked up a "free" pig? @CrealCritter, I followed your posts too. What did you wish you knew before you got your pig? Any other advice, much appreciated!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
GO GET THOSE FREE PIGS!!! A pig is a pig is a pig is a pig. Little bites, big bites, it's still pork. That old dog fence would be just fine for a couple of small pigs. Put a doghouse or some type of shelter in there for them, with some hay in it. Is the pen in the sun? Even better yet, put a sheet of plywood on each side of a corner. Go inside the pen and put up another sheet, and put a roof on it, making a 3 sided shelter. Make sure the afternoon sun does not "set" in the open end of the shelter.

Feed. You don't know how these pigs have been fed. To clean up the meat, feed them for 30 days. Soak whole corn in milk mixed with water, toss in a capful of Braggs ACV and let it sour for several days to a week. You can use the water to sour the next batch. The last pigs we had, I had 7 or 8 buckets going and fed them twice a day. Best pork I have raised yet!

A 4 year old pig? Grind it up and make sausage. :drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score