Hogs for meat

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I butchered an intact adult hog... a guinea hog. Absolutely NO taint. I've done some research and it appears that taint isn't as prevalent as some folks seem to think. I've also heard that if you're not quite so sure about it you could isolate the boar from sows for a few weeks before processing to let his hormones settle down. If it were me - I'd go for it!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ex neighbors left him behind. Sadly I had to shoot the sow because she charged me several times and was almost as big as him. My tenants didn't like her in the yard...for obvious reasons, and the owners abandoned them when they moved. They'd been getting out of their fence for weeks already. Now he's there and tearing up my property so it's either shoot him(which is what the owners said do after I contacted them about them) or eat him. That's a lot of pork to waste!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think I will. IF I can get him caught soon. They can go feral in a matter of weeks...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is he hungry? Put a big ol pan of feed in front of him...shoot him while his head is down. That's what we did when we processed a couple big ol' feeders a few years ago. They died happy!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
He is hungry. I want to feed him corn for a few weeks before slaughtering so I'll have to catch him and trailer his big butt if possible.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have adequate time or help for that matter..to dedicate to slaughtering him myself.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, that changes things, lol!

We hauled our last one to a processor. Got a trailer you can feed him in? Mine will jump right up into the trailer if there's food...getting them out of the trailer at the processor was a different story, lol!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The third one, the youngest, is the one I'm having processed Tuesday. He trailered for corn.

Latest posts