Holachicka ~ Up till 3 am, but...

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hiya! I'm going to give this journal thingy a try, hope I can stay up with it!!

01. Name? Sarah
02. Gender? Female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Disneyworld!!
04. What is your favorite color? Blue or green
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? Spearamint, and sometimes tart bubblegum
06. How much do you weigh? 145
07. How tall are you? 5'7"
08. Can you swim? Yup
09. Do you like to swim? Yup
10. Living arrangement? DH, kids, animals and I own 5 acres in the foothills of California
11. What's on your mouse pad? Some advertisement because DH got the pad for free at a expo of some sort.
12. Favorite board game? Hrrmm... I think battleship... But there are a few that are fun with a group!
13. Favorite magazine? Depends on my mood, if I want to be feeling pretty, something girly with beauty tips, if I want to feel acomplished, mother earth news, actually, I have all of the old issues, #1-60 or so, passed down from my dad!
14. Favorite Actor? Ed norton, he's so versatile!
15. Favorite Actress? Audrey Hepburn
16. Do you have an accent? I'd say no, but if I travel, people can tell I'm from CA, I guess they don't use works like Hecka and hella in many other places...
17. Favorite smells? Fresh baked bread, apples and cinnamon, lemon
18. Least favorite smells? Dead animals, those purple varigated garlic plants and geraniums yuk.
19. Favorite sound? My kids belly laughing
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Oh! Both!!
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Nope.
22. Pencil or pen? Pen
23. Who's better - boys or girls? huh? Well, I'd say equal, because I have a boy and a girl, but if not talking about kids, GIRLS RULE!
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? Not anymore
25. Do you sing in the shower? No
26. Who's the best looking Disney character?
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Get off my bladder, I have to pee. (kids crawl on me to wake me up!)
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? 2, because after three the answering machine picks up!
29. How do you want to die? In my sleep, but I've always thought I'd die in a car accident. I don't know why!
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? no
31. Gold or silver? Silver
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? I have, and skydiving too!
33. Do you like dressing up? Yes, for a date with my hubby!!
34. Would you rather be short or tall? I am tall, I wonder what it would be like to be short...
35. Do you enjoy reading? Yes!
36. What book are you reading now? I like my smut books, I'm reading sacred sins by nora roberts
37. Favorite books? Anything by julie garwood or judith mcnaught
38. What was the last movie you saw? Let me in, We were going for something scarey, This didn't fit the bill, it was pretty slow.
39. Favorite movies? Hrmm, there are lots, I'm pretty easygoing and am entertained easily
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? no
41. What is your sign? Virgo
42. What are your personality traits? compassionate, caring, lazy at times, perfectionsist with some things, I love to research a new project until I know as much as I can.
43. What's your biggest fear? Something bad happening to my kids or husband
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? yes
45. Future child's name? Already got em, Matthew and Grace
46. Favorite foods? too many to list! I am a huge pizza fan though
47. Chocolate or vanilla? Both!
48. Do you like to drive fast? sometimes, but no not really
49. Storms - cool or scary? cool
50. Do you like to dance? eh, sometimes
51. Do you do drugs? nope
52. Do you smoke? nope
53. What do you think of people who smoke? that it sucks because I used to and I always felt self conciuos and worried what other people thought or smelled.
54. Do you drink? yes
55. Favorite drink? red wine
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Sometimes
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? yes
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? cheif accounting officer at intel (it's close to my house)
59. What's your "type"? My husband!
60. Do you bite your nails? no
61. Any siblings? 3, 2 brothers and a sister
62. What movies have you cried in? Oh, a lot, I get emotionally wrapped up in a story
63. Do you believe in God? yes
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? yes
65. Have you ever stolen anything? nope
66. Do you procrastinate? YES, I'm a horrible procrastinator!
67. Do you believe in fate? yes
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? grover
69. Do you organize your CD's? no
70. What is your favorite kind of music? just about everything,
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? Frank sinatra!
72. What was the last CD you got? I don't remember
73. MTV or VH1? neither
74. Who do you admire the most?
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? no
76. Are you single? married
77. Favorite TV show? the walking dead, CSI
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? brunettes, cause I am!
79. Glasses or contacts? glasses for driving
80. What color are your eyes? blue/green
81. What is your natural hair color? brunette
82. But what color is it now? brunette with highlights
83. Have you ever been in love? I am!
84. Any pets? 2 dogs, a cat, 3 goats, 18 chickens...
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? decent
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? hlf full
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? Pretty much
88. What's under your bed? dust bunnies
89. What is your favorite number? 6
90. Favorite sport to watch? basketball with the hubby when the kings were doing good!

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol, Had to take a break and give the kiddos lunch! Hashbrowns, eggs and fresh strawberries...

So, A little about me: I'm an accountant turned stay at home mom. We moved to our 5 acres while I was still prego with my little girl who is now two. My Son is 4 and getting ready for kindergarten in august (EEK!). Our property is rolling hills with a small mond that has a creek leading to and from it. The creek eventually makes its way to the american river, and acts as a highway for all kinds of critters. So far we've seen coyotes, bear, bobcats, deer, a river otter (super cute!) rabbits, racoons, skunks, fox, possum... We know there are mountain lions in the area but have yet to see them.

Once we got the green light on buying the property, I started planning what I wanted to do. First thing was chickens! That's where I came from, BYC. I'm the kind of person who jumps in with both feet, and I have always had some sort of animals growing up on three acres, but I wanted animals that would do something for us, pay their own rent... I wanted pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits, quail and pretty much anything that would provide for our family, since I am not providing an income, I want to help provide food for our family!

Poor DH, He grew up on property as well, but they never had anything besides dogs and cats! I've had to take baby steps with him, and still am! Of my goals, I've done chickens, veggie garden, quail and goats. I am just about to get my first milk goat, as I said I've had to take baby steps with dh, so our goats have only been pets and brush goats for the last year until I wheedled and got may way with a milker. The quail didn't work out. I bought eggs off of ebay and hatched them out, but the flavor of the meat was just not our favorite, and it wasn't worth it even for the little work they were to maintain. So I sold the rest to my hair lady!

I had a small veggie garden in our backyard in the suburbs, and knew I wanted one here, and love that I have more space, but the deer and gophers are a HUGE problem, and my garden is enclosed in a 12x24 old dog kennel that's 8' high. I still get plenty of fresh veggies each year, but not enough to do much canning. This year I should be able to can a lot of my tomatoes though, I hope!! Until we can afford to trench a waterline and enclose my future garden site, it is what it is! Right now I have to carry 5 gallons buckets of water to our animals each day, at least I get a bit of a workout!

So, I went to see my milk goat a couple of weeks ago, and the lady was supposed to contact me this week about dropping her off (she wants to see where her girl is going) but it's now weds, and I've heard nothing! I sent her an email, and still nothing. I may have to start looking for another goat, but I really liked this one, and the lady was really great, she pretty much offered to mentor me. I'm hoping she gets back to me soon!!!

Off to solve the hissyfits brewing.

~Sarah

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow

Welcome, it sounds as if your off to a great start.

"pretty much anything that would provide for our family, since I am not providing an income, I want to help provide food for our family"

I can totally relate to this.

g

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH was sent to minnesota for the week by his office for training. It's gonna be a rough week!! With two kids and all our animals to take care of, I'm gonna be a busy girl!! Plus I want to have a few suprises in store for him when he gets back. I've been painting the interior of our house bit by bit as time allows, and I'd like to finish up and get the house in order by the time he gets home.

CAN YOU BELEIVE THE PRICE OF HAY???!!!! I picked up a bale of GRASS hay for our goats, because I was worried about the price of a 50lb bag of alfalfa pellets being $10, but the bale was $20!!!!!!! I was totally in shock. I'll be doing some shopping around thats for sure! Good thing is that the feed store wants to buy my eggs, a little less than what I could sell them for but it takes the aspect of driving around or having strangers come to my house out of the equation which is very nice!

Does anyone know when to harvest delicata squash? honeydew melon? butternut? Acorn squash?? My three sisters garden is doing amazing, but I keep reading conflicting information about the delicata especially. I already posted on the easy garden, but I'm impatient... :D We tried my home grown corn for the first time Sunday night, I've never grown it before... REALLY REALLY GOOD! I just love my vegetable garden. I have a seed addiction... and now that summer time is raging, all the grocery stores and drug stores will be clearancing out their summer items, and that includes seeds! I'm-a-gonna-go shoppin'!

I'm potty training my little girl, and she's doing great, but I forgot about all the poopy and pee-pee talk that comes along with it. It's always fun to see the expressions of other patrons in a restaraunt when your daughter randomly shouts, "Mama! We don't go poopy on the walls!" Or in line at the grocery store, when she points to a stranger, "Mommy, that guy goes poopy too!" Thanks to the everyone poops book... She knows that everyone does indeed poop, and sometimes lists all the animals and people that she knows, and tells the world that they go poopy, just like her. Lol, the joys of parenthood...

~Sarah

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
$20.00 per bale! :ep :th How big are those bales? If I had to spend that kind of money on hay, I wouldn't have any animals! I buy RBs for a bit more than that, and just got 95 squares for $2.00/bale.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oof- $20 a bale?? They'd better be darn big bales! I buy round bales for $40- nice orchard grass hay dried for us and wrapped. (I LOVE my hay guy!)

Good luck with the milker- I'd love to be able to have time to add a milking animal of any sort to my menagerie.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nope, they are the regular three twine bales. I was so shocked!! I'm getting my milker Friday! :D Now I just need to figure out ways to make due with what I have for milk processing. Any ideas? I bought one of those mesh metal coffee filters, and I have a large glass pickle jar to milk into. I'm probably going to find a way to make a home made hobble so I don't have to worry about her kicking and breaking it... I'd love some thoughts and Ideas on any of this! Tips and advice to make milking and sanitizing and making cheese and making yogurt cheaper and easier! THANKS!

Latest posts