Holachicka ~ Up till 3 am, but...

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was remembering a moment that I thought I'd share:

I was enjoying my morning coffee while the kids were still asleep. Looking out at the back yard, I saw two mourning doves on the fence. I thought, how sweet! They mate for life, and if something happens to one mate, the other never finds a different mate. Romance in nature! Looking at the two lovely birds, suddenly a huge hawk swoops down and grabs one of the doves!! The other freaks and flies head first into the window I was looking out of, hitting the ground before jumping up and flying off. I remeber standing there slack jawed, just thinking Oh... Well the other one's out of luck.

DH is still out of town, It's rough with the two kiddos wanting to know when he's coming home, They miss him a lot. He always comes home from work and just plays with them for a while. *sigh* I'm trying to think of an arts and craft project for the kids to make a present for Daddy, Help keep them occupied. It's a little hard figuring out what a 2 and 4 year old can make together...

My Corn is so yummy!! I had some last night for a midnight snack! First time growing it and won't be the last! Can't wait until Friday and getting my milk goat! Woot!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know how hard it is when dh is out of town. No rest for the weary. :hugs

For the kids....Maybe some of that dough the can shape and you bake to make hard. They could paint it when there done. :idunno

I was just eyeing some of my butternut today. I think the past couple years I have gone by color and the condition of the vine. I always assumed, I could be very wrong, that the vine was to die first. Butternut are a sturdy keeper winter squash so outside shouldn't hurt them.

I grew some of those delicata last year from grocery seed. I just picked them when they looked like the ones at the store did.

I can't wait to hear how the milking goes. I have no advice. I am still Goat-less. :hit

By the way what state did you say yo were in?

g

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Get some plaster of Paris. Then, find something to use as a mold, and let the kids put their hands in it to make hand prints. Once it's dried, they can decorate it however they want.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in Northern CA, Didn't realize that I didn't have that on there! Thanks for the ideas! I'm looking for something that I have around the house so I don't go spending money! I have lots of popcicle sticks... Lol. and beads... Maybe I'll have them make a picture frame or something for his work...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah, I though I remember you being in Ca.

Beads are good. Glue, sticks, beads... you can't go wrong. :D

g

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Soo tired and LAZY today!! Been fighting back a migraine all day too, that doesn't help!

I have a pen pal! I saw a posting on craiglsist in the farm and garden section, a woman and her husband looking for couples around their age with the same interests. Veggie gardening, canning, self sufficient living... Anyways, we've been chatting a lot back and forth and have a lot in common, kids about the same age, lifestyle etc. I haven't had a pen pal in a long time! and it's definately nice to have a friend who understands why I want to live the way we do. Most of my friends think I'm crazy to do the things I do! I cringe when they ask about my goats and avoid telling them that the new one is for milking... Lol. Look at what society has done, to not shock my friends I don't tell them that I don't buy all of our food from the grocery store. *sigh* They still think I'm crazy! When I had quail, I had one friend that I was afraid would try to let them out to escape! Never happened at least!

So Tanks, What's keeping you from getting a goat?? :D How did you like the delicata? My goat lady called today, and told me that she's been upping the sweet feed and keeping the goats out of the back pasture (they were getting into something that made their milk taste off) and that Vega (the goat) has really upped her milk production because of it! YAY! I was about to ask how much she was producing when DD fell and started screaming, so I'll ask about it tomorrow when I pick her up! Need a new goat name by the way, We like cutsie better, like Emma, Bella, Honey and Lucy... Any ideas?

I have a glut of zucchini, and am in the process of making a double batch of zucchini bread muffins. I'll store a bunch in the freezer for fast breakfasts.

OH! My grandpa in law called to tell me he has 1 and a half 5 gallon buckets of plums from his tree for me. and that he's going to have a bumper crop of his pears for me this year too! Woot!! I'm going to have to find some things to do with these! My mom gave me 3 gallon bags of strawberries that I threw in the freezer, So I'll probably make some strawberry plum jam, but I know I'll have a ton more, so I'd LOVE some ideas!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I am working my way towards goats. Slowly.... We have just under 2 acres and I'm on a hill. So I try to keep everything in close proximity to the house. I have an acre of hillside but it's not the greatest to access. No power and I would need to run the water lines.

We are desert goers. My kids and dh off road so leaving for the desert several times every winter makes it hard. Not a lot of people around her to help with the goats.

My focus for now is processing the poultry. I just got to it this year and it's going great. I am on my second batch of meats and have some turkeys as well.

Its a nice feeling, providing more than veggies for the family.

Dairy would be huge. soon....

Plums and pears.. Yum. I did plum jam this year with what a friend gave me. I have another old guy friend with a pear tree. I take all he grows every year. He is a grumpy old guy but told me he watered the tree for me this year. :love Usually he threatens to chop it down. Those will just go in a light syrup in halves and slices. :drool

g

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am SOOO excited! I picked up my goat in milk today!! Tomorrow morning will be my first time really milking! The lady showed me how when I first saw her, but tomorrow will be the first "real" time! Hopefully it will go smoothly (I've been having visions of being nearly done and her kicking over the bucket!), and I'll be able to make my first batch of cheese! The lady is awesome, she sent me home with a reusable plastic cheese cloth, some vegetable rennet and some other helpful supplies. I think it was Free who mentioned whipping the cheese with honey and then layering it with berries, I will definately be trying that. Though whenever I do my first batch, I'll probably mix a few small sections and try it with different seasonings. What do you do with the whey?

Oh Free! Do you have a recipe to share? Now I'm thinking plum wine... I think I'll have to do pears in a light syrup also, that sounds really good, and then we can really enjoy them throughout the year... Of course I'll dry a bunch as well. I make batches of zucchini or banana bread in mini muffin tins, and put 4 to a ziplock baggie, add a handfull of dried pears to each bag and pop them in the freezer. they make a perfect "to go" breakfast for DH, or If I have to run about with the kids... Just grab a bag on the way out the door, and by the time We get through the windy road (15 min) they are ready to eat!

Tanks, If I wasn't a stay at home mom, I'd probably never be able to do this. I'm hoping to teach my neighbor how to milk, so that if I have to go somewhere for a weekend, I'll have a backup. So I completely understand about not wanting to loose the ability to leave! Though... you COULD plan your breeding schedule around those winter breaks you and you fam take... ;) he he he...

We don't have water lines yet either... I have to carry 5 gallon buckes of wather to all the animals. Goats, Chickens, Dogs... All spread to different areas on our 5 acres... Losin' weight though!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just cut up the plums (leave the skins on) and put them in a quart canning jar with some sugar, and pour cheap vodka over them. I put them in the cupboard where I keep my tea bags so I'll remember to give it a shake every day for a month, then I strain it into a Grolshe bottle (any jar with a tight-fitting lid will do, but I put the word out for Grolshe bottles and got a few! Very handy for extracts and liqueurs!) and store it in a dark cupboard to age for a few months.

Pear/raspberry pie is my favorite. I also like the combination of plums (no need to peel) and blueberries in a pie, cobbler, or crisp.