Holiday gifts from the kitchen ~ share your ideas!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I successfully canned some pickled peppers yesterday (thanks for all the advice!) and they look so pretty they have inspired me to make baskets of kitchen goodies form family this year.

Now I just need some ideas! Can"t rely on the garden, will have to shop the local farmers market, but that is ok. But I need some ideas, before all the good warm weather produce is gone!

I am thinking
Roasted Peppers & Garlic
Tomato & Basil pasta sauce
Apple Pie filling

Maybe: Kettle Corn (put the kernels, sugar & salt in a little jar with directions)
Probably some sort of sweet, banana bread, brownies, cookies etc.
Possibly knit some little holiday colored hot pads.
I would love to make some candles too...but that may be too much.

Anyone have any fun/favorite ideas?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I made candles for everyone last year. I used dollar store spice bottles (the big ones that have the canning jar look and the flip lids held on with metal clasps. I made my own labels (a picture of my house with "Morel Cabin Candles" as a brand name. At the bottom, in fine print I jokingly put "Made especially for you by Tammy...paid for by Ray"
Everyone loved them.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What kind of wax did you use? Where did you get it from? I've been thinking about making candles and that sounds like a nice way to make them. I'd like to use beeswax but I don' t think I've ever seen a beewax jar candle. Any bee people know why that is? Does beeswax not melt the right way for a jar candle? Or have I just not been looking hard enough?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friend gave Dad some bread and butter pickles she made. I am not a fan, too sweet for me, but I tried one and DELISH if you are a b&b person. So maybe b&b pickles would be different.

Also make some flavored vinegars. Super simple and with attractive bottles and a ribbon they are fab gifts. And reasonable priced too and everyone loves getting them. just a suggestion throwing out. Good way to use up some herbs.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We jarred some chunky homemade applesauce with good local apples one year, and everyone really liked that.

We also, last year, made silly flavored pancake mixes... I'll admit, we just bought some "just add water" mixes and then added in things to made them fancy and put them in jars. One mix had mini chocolate chips, pecan pieces, and cinnamon. One mix had dried pineapple and coconut flakes.

We made a grapefruit and lemon marmalade one year, which was delicious but kind of expensive and absurd amounts of work. So don't do that one!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
We jarred some chunky homemade applesauce with good local apples one year, and everyone really liked that.

We also, last year, made silly flavored pancake mixes... I'll admit, we just bought some "just add water" mixes and then added in things to made them fancy and put them in jars. One mix had mini chocolate chips, pecan pieces, and cinnamon. One mix had dried pineapple and coconut flakes.

We made a grapefruit and lemon marmalade one year, which was delicious but kind of expensive and absurd amounts of work. So don't do that one!
I love the pancake idea! How clever!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick, I like the vinegar idea, I was thinking that I could find some inexpensive fancy bottles. Do you use plain old white vinegar? I made some in cooking school once but it has been quite a while.

Morel, I love the candles in a jar. My Dh used to make candles when he was younger ad he would love to do this. You labels sounds very cute :)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The pancake thing was nice because it was so darn cheap, but we decorated the heck out of the packaging to make it seem fancy. We made them in "makes enough pancakes for 2" size containers, and covered them in stickers and ribbon and stuff. Also, if you add enough chocolate and cinnamon and pecans, the cheap pancake mix tastes pretty darn good!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another thing to make is fancy hot cocoa mixes and add some marshmellows etc. and put them in a big mug. Stores sell this type of gift but hand making them can be your own design ya know.

Yup, plain old white vinegar for me.....Here is a copy of what I kinda went by when I started making some....has good info like dip your herbs in a bleach solution to curtail bacteria before you add it into your bottle....things that like. Long copied post coming here..LOL

FLAVORED VINEGARS AND OILS
Flavored vinegars and oils add excitement to salads, marinades and sauces. They also make special gifts, provided a few simple precautions are followed. Of the two, flavored vinegars are easiest and safest to make. Because vinegar is high in acid, it does not support the growth of Clostridium (C.) botulinum bacteria. However, some vinegars may support the growth of Escherichia (E.) coli bacteria. Infused oils have the potential to support the growth of C. botulinum bacteria; therefore, these products may cause great harm if not made and stored properly. By following the procedures below, both types of products can be safely prepared and used.
FLAVORED VINEGARS
Pre-preparation
Containers. Select and prepare containers first. Use only glass jars or bottles that are free of cracks or nicks and can be sealed with a screw-band lid, cap or cork. Wash containers thoroughly, then sterilize by immersing the jars in a pan of hot water and simmering for 10 minutes. Once jars are sterilized, remove from the simmering water and invert on paper towel to dry. Fill while the jars are still warm.

Herb vinegars.
Commercial companies that make herbal vinegars dip the herbs in anti-bacterial agents that are not readily available to consumers. As an alternative, briefly dip the fresh herbs in a sanitizing bleach solution of 1 teaspoon household bleach per 6 cups (1-1/2 quarts) of water, rinse thoroughly under cold water and pat dry. For best results, use only the best leaves and flowers, eliminating any brown, discolored, trampled or nibbled parts of the herbs. Fresh herbs are best picked just after the morning dew has dried. Allow three to four sprigs of fresh herbs or 3 tablespoons dried herbs per pint of vinegar.

Fruit, vegetable and spice vinegars.
Fruits often used to flavor vinegars include strawberries, raspberries, pears, peaches and the peel of oranges or lemons. Allow the peel of one orange or lemon or 1 to 2 cups of fruit per pint of vinegar flavored. For variation, try fruits in combination with herbs or spices. Vegetables, such as garlic cloves and jalapeno peppers, can also be used to add zest to vinegars.

Thread these on thin bamboo skewers for easy insertion and removal. Thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables with clean water and peel, if necessary, before use. Small fruits and vegetables may be halved or left whole; large ones may need to be sliced or cubed.

Vinegar selection.
Use only high quality vinegars. Even the strongest herbs cannot diminish the sharp flavors of some vinegars. The type of vinegar to use as the base depends on what is being added. Fruits blend well with apple cider vinegar. Distilled white vinegar is best with delicate herbs and wine vinegar works well with garlic and tarragon. Do be aware, however, that wine and rice vinegars contain protein that provides an excellent medium for bacterial growth, if not stored properly.

Preparation
To make flavored vinegars, place the prepared herbs, fruits or spices in the sterilized jars, being careful to avoid over-packing the bottles. Use three to four sprigs of fresh herbs, 3 tablespoons of dried herbs or 1 to 2 cups of fruit or vegetable per pint of vinegar to be flavored. Heat vinegar to just below boiling (190 degrees F). Then pour over the herbs and cap tightly. Allow to stand for three to four weeks for the flavor to develop fully. Then, strain the vinegar through a damp cheesecloth or coffee filter one or more times until the vinegar is no longer cloudy. Discard the fruit, vegetable and/or herbs. Pour the strained vinegar into a clean sterilized jar. Add a sprig or two of fresh herbs or berries that have been sanitized as described above. Seal tightly. Store in the refrigerator for the freshest retention of flavors.

The flavoring process can be shortened by a week or so by bruising or coarsely chopping the herbs and fruits before placing in the bottles and adding the hot vinegar. To test for flavor development, place a few drops of the flavored vinegar on some white bread and taste. When the flavor is appropriate, strain through damp cheesecloth and continue as described above.

Storage and Use
For the best retention of flavors, store vinegars in the refrigerator or a cool dark place. If properly prepared, flavored vinegars should retain good quality for two to three months in cool room storage and for six to eight months in refrigerated storage. Some people enjoy displaying pretty bottles of herb and fruit vinegars on a kitchen window sill. If left out for more than a few weeks, these bottles are best considered as decoration and not used in food preparation. Flavored vinegars can be used in any recipe that calls for plain vinegar. They add zest to marinades for meats and fish and interesting flavors to dressings for salads, pastas and vegetables.

FLAVORED OILS
Infused oils and oil-based mixtures of garlic, herbs or dried tomatoes can pose a health hazard if not kept refrigerated. There have been a number of cases of botulism poisoning traced to commercially and home prepared mixtures of garlic-in-oil that were not refrigerated. Refrigeration is necessary because all other conditions that favor the growth of C. botulinum are met: low acid environment with pH higher that 4.6, anaerobic conditions (oil), food and moisture source (garlic), not boiled before eating. Vegetables and herbs in oil. Less has been documented on the dangers of storing whole chilies, fleshy vegetables or herbs in oil, but they, too, are best made fresh with leftovers stored in the refrigerator for use within three weeks. Vegetables have a high water activity level which further encourages the growth of C. botulinum bacteria in an anaerobic environment. Even when dried, there is still the potential for risk, unless the vegetable has been acidified to a pH of 4.6 or lower. Dried tomatoes in oil are less of a safety concern than other mixtures in oil because the pH of tomatoes is generally 4.6 or lower. In addition, by drying the tomatoes, conditions become even less favorable to growth of C. botulinum due to a decrease in water activity. Dried herbs in oil also are less of a safety concern because of their low water activity. However, to insure safety it is recommended that all tomato in oil and herb in oil products be stored at refrigerator temperatures.

Avoid Rancidity
In addition to reducing the potential for growth of C. botulinum bacteria, storing flavored oils in the refrigerator helps keep the oils from becoming rancid. A putrid "off" odor indicates the development of rancidity. All fats and oils will become rancid given enough exposure to air, sunlight and heat. Polyunsaturated fats, like vegetable oils, are especially prone to such deterioration. Eating rancid food wont make you sick, but it may be unhealthy in the long run. Rancid fat contains chemicals called peroxides and aldehydes that can damage cells and may even encourage cholesterol to clog arteries.

It is important to note that rancidity and the presence of botulinal toxins are not necessarily related. Toxin may be present without any hint of an off-odor. Likewise, an off-odor does not necessarily indicate the presence of botulism toxin. It does, however, indicate the product may have been left for long periods at room temperature, which would promote the growth of C. botulinum. Therefore, its best to discard any oil-based mixtures that have become rancid so theyre out of reach of humans or animals.

Fresh Dill Vinegar
8 sprigs of fresh dill
4 cups (1 quart) white vinegar
Wash dill and dip in solution of 1 teaspoon household bleach in 6 cups water. Rinse thoroughly under cool running water. Place dill in sterilized quart jar. Heat vinegar to just below the boiling point (190 degrees F); pour over dill. Cap tightly and allow to stand in cool, dark place for three to four weeks. Strain vinegar, discarding dill. Pour vinegar into clean sterilized bottles with tight fitting covers. Add a fresh sprig of cleaned and sanitized dill, if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 1 quart.

Herbal Vinegar
4 cups red wine vinegar
8 sprigs fresh parsley
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon sage leaves
Thoroughly wash herbs and dip in solution of 1 teaspoon household bleach in 6 cups water. Rinse thoroughly under cool running water. Place dill in sterilized quart jar. Heat vinegar to just below the boiling point (190 degrees F); pour over dill. Cap tightly and allow to stand in cool, dark place for three to four weeks. Strain vinegar, discarding dill. Pour vinegar into clean sterilized bottles with tight fitting covers. Add a fresh sprig of cleaned and sanitized parsley, if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 1 quart.