Holiday Season

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I switched to food for family gifts a few years ago. It's worked really well.

First year I smoked, vacuum sealed, and froze ribs. Everyone got a rack of them with instructions and a bottle of bbq sauce. It went over very well.

I've told my brothers that something we can just eat is best.

The kids get money. We have no idea what they like and we don't live close.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
giving food gifts sounds like a great idea. My older brother loves to BBQ so i could find a bbq sauce i can can or make a bunch of different spice rubs.

I also thought about giving my younger brother and his kids tickets to the zoo for next year when the weather is nice again. BB and SIL get season passes for the whole brood (four boys!) so if i gave the kids tickets it would have to be somewhere the don't always go.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't decorate the house anymore either unless the grands are coming. Gotta do it then!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am all about the not giving me something I have to dust and it takes up room. A gift card to Tractor Supply is perfect. But getting something for everyone else.....??

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually make some sort of food gifts for most of our friends, but the kids live far enough away that I don't want to send perishables their way. This year I'm sending each of them a 3-month supply of Auguson Farms "survival food." The grand daughter has been getting gift certificates to Amazon, but I'd like to start sending her something like non-electronic games instead. This year maybe it will be the Once Upon A Time card game.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so glad I only have two people to buy presents for! DS and BF. The former I have a present in mind for and the latter I'm making a present for. He fell in love with my quilts and manoeuvred me into a wool and fabric shop the other day. Subtle hint? ;) I'm going to have to motor to have it done by Christmas though… I haven't started on it yet.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, they are beautiful!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used to make Jesus a Birthday Cake but we stopped doing that many years ago as the kids started getting older.

Last Christmas tree we had, I went out into the woods, chopped down a eastern red cedar. Brought it home, put it in a tree stand, we decorated it and put a bunch of presents under it. a few days later we had a infestation of baby praying mantis in the house (they vacuum up pretty easy with a shop vac). yep you guessed it that beautiful tree had multiple praying mantis nests in it and by bringing the tree into the warm house I caused them to hatch. We havn't had a Christmas tree since then.