Hollandaise

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds quite lovely, baymule. I have saved it for later. (How soon before Christmas can one start on the eggnog? Is Easter too soon? :lol:) It sounds rather like the one I used to make, but that had no whiskey, but therefore both rum and brandy.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
~gd said:
ORChick said:
Yes, I do have chickens, and the eggs are wonderful. I also didn't do much in the way of raw egg sauces or egg nog for many years before I got the hens. Now I kind of go overboard :lol:
I suppose I should warn that people who tend chickens tend to become immune to the common diseases that they may have due to the daily exposure. Eggs really haven't become more dangerous over the years but people have tended to lose imminity as the eggs were produced in factory farms. We had an incident at a church supper where everyone had the eggnog but only the non-farm people beccame ill. It had the public health people confused until they questioned the farm folks and found that the common factor to being well was chickens. Even the farmers that bought eggs from the supermarket became ill.
If ya'll used my great-Grandmother's eggnog recipe, nobody would have gotten sick. It calls for 12 jiggers of whiskey, which cooks the eggs. We never get sick, but we might get snockered! :lol:
I did say a church supper!~gd

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
~gd said:
ORChick said:
Yes, I do have chickens, and the eggs are wonderful. I also didn't do much in the way of raw egg sauces or egg nog for many years before I got the hens. Now I kind of go overboard :lol:
I suppose I should warn that people who tend chickens tend to become immune to the common diseases that they may have due to the daily exposure. Eggs really haven't become more dangerous over the years but people have tended to lose imminity as the eggs were produced in factory farms. We had an incident at a church supper where everyone had the eggnog but only the non-farm people beccame ill. It had the public health people confused until they questioned the farm folks and found that the common factor to being well was chickens. Even the farmers that bought eggs from became ill.
That is interesting, ~gd. One would think that very new chicken keepers would tend to get sick as well, not having had time to build immunity. Or, perhaps they do but no one has studied that.
It may only be perception and not fact, but I also believe that the eggs from healthy hens, living a proper chicken-y sort of life (not in a cage, or cooped up with thousands of others, and little room to move), and eating a healthy diet have less likelihood of harboring illness causing bacteria. Not to mention that they are certainly fresher. But whatever the case may be, I would not feel comfortable eating raw supermarket eggs anymore, although in my youth Hollandaise sauce was often served, and raw egg eggnog appeared every Christmas, and homemade mayonnaise on occasion. And DH's very favorite chocolate indulgence is basically just chocolate and raw eggs (and a bit of cognac). I didn't make that for a number of years either, before I got the hens.
diseases are usually a matter of the number of germs and how they enter the body. chicks are loaded but you don't put them ln your mouth a few sneak in but your immune system can fight them off without you feeling ill. At the same time your system is getting ready for more. New adults usually don't lay right after being moved, by the time you get eggs from those hens you have been exposed by handling them. I agree about factory hens In the past I have adopted a few that excaped from the factory down the road they very seldome live for very long and usually die before I can add them to my flock. I sometimes need to buy eggs but I never really trust them. ~gd

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd wrote: "chicks are loaded but you don't put them ln your mouth a few sneak in but ..."

:lol: :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok now - ya'll have to stop that! :ep

"chicks are loaded but you don't put 'em in your mouth" :lol:

Stop it!!!

"a few sneak in" OMG - you're just wrong for that!!! :gig

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LMAO.... Popping chicks like popcorn!? ooops

3142_i_dont_wanna_be_a_nugget.jpeg

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
~gd wrote: "chicks are loaded but you don't put them ln your mouth a few sneak in but ..."

:lol: :lol:
Well I meant a few grerms but it does bug me to see kids kissing chicks. Otherwise the germs sneak in by being on hands.~gd

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have to heat yolks for hollandaise, which should help with germs and such.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
You have to heat yolks for hollandaise, which should help with germs and such.
The only heat is from the melted butter, if you make it in a blender. I think making it the traditional way everything is heated somewhat (enough to melt the butter) in a double boiler, though I have always "cheated" and used the blender, since a French friend of my parents' said that it tasted fine to him :lol: