1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Our Hearts go out to Notre Dame - Our Featured Thread on our sister site "The Easy Garden"
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Home dyeing

Discussion in 'Homemade Products' started by Hinotori, Jan 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mar 18, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

This is very interesting. I bought a fabric dying kit a few years ago and hpope to get my craft building set up this summer and dye a bunch of facbric for crafting with.
    The closest I came to this is using blueberries, strawberries and onions to dye my easter eggs one year. In fact, I may do it again this year with my light brown eggs. The colors come out so nice.

Hinotori likes this.
  2. Mar 18, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I want to try onion skins on my blue eggs. Maybe a quick turmeric dye to get a nice green.

My lichen dyes have another month to go before I can use them. Only the reindeer lichen looks like something really interesting as it's purple.

3. Mar 19, 2019
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Fascinating! I have painted on wet cottons, wadded up and put on a aluminum pan. Dripped watered down acrylic paint on the fabric and let it spread into interesting shapes. A spray of water helped spread it and added the the different shades of colors. NEVER even thought about using natural dyes. I would have aimed for beet juice, turmeric, onion skin. I wish I would have thought about it!
    That Christmas, I gave all my quilting buddies a box of 'fat quarters' (18"" x 22") of all the different shades of my efforts. Although I loved the organic shapes and patterns, my friends were less than impressed. Keep us informed of your progress.