tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I saw a post elsewhere about how insurance companies decide the value of a home's contents when the homeowner hasn't kept an inventory. The post author commented that an itemized home inventory could result in a claim >$100K when the insurance company previously determined the home contents' value at $7K. :eek:

I started an inventory and quickly realized there's often a big difference between the prices that I've paid for items versus their replacement value. And then I started adding inventory from my amazon order history and overwhelmed myself quickly.

Uff. I see why people don't do this. :th But DH and I have accumulated enough stuff that it's stupid to not have a home inventory done. I'm not thinking about outbuilding contents yet. :th

Have you done a home inventory? How'd it go? How often do you update it?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have you done a home inventory? How'd it go? How often do you update it?

no. almost everything i have is worthless or irreplaceeable. stuff i use most of the time i can replace for not much aka i don't really care.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did this at our house in Livingston. I went room by room. It’s also easier to remember if you visualize what was in each room. Gave a copy to DD in case house was a total loss. Printed out several copies. One copy went in the portable building that was on some property we owned.

A pipe burst in the ceiling while we were gone to work. I handed insurance adjuster a copy, he was amazed.

Then we moved to Lindale. Then I moved to son’s house. Then I moved here.

I second that @FarmerJamie

:th

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya know, easy way to start is a video as you walk through the house. Watch and list at your leisure. But inventory sure helps!
This is what our agent told us to do, well take pictures, so we do this about every couple years and then update paper lists of items.

I have NOT looked at replacement prices though! I hadn't even thought about that, so yep same here another thing to do!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have NOT looked at replacement prices though! I hadn't even thought about that, so yep same here another thing to do!
I have sticker shock!

I paid $40 for my sheepskin rug (used, poor condition). I have the tools and know-how to get it back to like-new condition. The price tag on it is $299. 🤣 that was a long time ago! The best price I could find for the same size/shape rug was $549, average was $800 😲🤯

I bought my leather reclining loveseat at an auction for $25! Replacement for a similar used one is $250+ and new is over $1K.

I have gorgeous heavy blackout floor-to-ceiling drapes in my living room. They help tremendously with temperature control! I got them from a hotel auction for about $100. I can't get a good value because its a "call for a quote" situation, but I know it's in the thousands. I was able to price unlined/not blackout hotel drapes the same sizes at $1,400. 😲

I've collected things at once-in-a-lifetime prices over decades. If it was a total loss and I had to start over, it would be terribly expensive! :th

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
no. almost everything i have is worthless or irreplaceeable. stuff i use most of the time i can replace for not much aka i don't really care.
The author that inspired me wrote about the value of the contents of an average shower. He commented that most would skip it because they believe it doesn't have value. But even toiletries can add up to hundreds - more if you have stocked up.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At todays prices, a 5 pound box of deck screws is $35, I just bought some. AND I needed metal roofing screws…… a very small box, count 400, was over $46!! :th

Inventory will be on my resolutions list. Not just household, but tools, everything in the outbuildings too.

A couple of guys that have been cutting up firewood from a massive dead oak were going to cut a cow panel length wise to make a basket to hold the firewood on their trailer. One had some little side cutter pliers. I made the comment that would take him awhile and got my long handled bolt cutters. And that’s just one of the many tools I have. Can never have too many tools.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
At todays prices, a 5 pound box of deck screws is $35, I just bought some. AND I needed metal roofing screws…… a very small box, count 400, was over $46!! :th

Inventory will be on my resolutions list. Not just household, but tools, everything in the outbuildings too.

A couple of guys that have been cutting up firewood from a massive dead oak were going to cut a cow panel length wise to make a basket to hold the firewood on their trailer. One had some little side cutter pliers. I made the comment that would take him awhile and got my long handled bolt cutters. And that’s just one of the many tools I have. Can never have too many tools.
Oh wow, that didn't even cross my mind. You're right, there's a lot of money tied up in nuts and bolts. And tools! :th