Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I looked it up and found this (for a mix):
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3 cup powdered milk
dash of salt

What I used to do was mix about a tablespoon (?) of cocoa -- the recipe I used was on the side of the cocoa container -- with some sugar and some cinnamon and then I would pour some milk into it and stir that up really good, then pour boiling water over the top. I personally think that mixing the cocoa mix with milk first makes a HUGE difference, as compared with putting the water in and then adding milk. :hu
I like the looks of this recipe. So if you were going to make just one cup of hot cocoa how much would you mix into your hot water Drakemaiden?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3 cup powdered milk
dash of salt

What I used to do was mix about a tablespoon (?) of cocoa -- the recipe I used was on the side of the cocoa container -- with some sugar and some cinnamon and then I would pour some milk into it and stir that up really good, then pour boiling water over the top. I personally think that mixing the cocoa mix with milk first makes a HUGE difference, as compared with putting the water in and then adding milk. :hu
Well, I tried this recipe but used spoon measures instead of cup as a test and didn't really taste quite right so I tinkered around and came up with this one:
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp sugar
3 tsp powdered milk

mix thoroughly add about a cup boiling water. ENJOY!

If you want to make a bigger batch of mix to have on hand, just remember 1,2,3-1 cocoa, 2 sugar, 3 powder milk-mix together. To use-add about 2 heaping spoons of mix to about a cup of boiling water.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Heres my recipe. I have given it to several BYCers and it is in the BYC cookbook.

Hot Cocoa Mix
2 cups powdered milk
1/2 cup powdered baking cocoa, (unsweetened)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients together.

I double the recipe and put it in a plastic foldgers coffee can. I just add the ingredients and shake the can. And I use what I want to get the flavor that I want..

I found it tasted better if you use some powdered and some regular sugar. This is a recipe that I adapted to my taste from a recipe on the back of a powdered milk package. If you usually only use the regular sugar. The powdered milk has a funny flavor to me.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
And I thought I was the only one who did this :lol: I started making my home made hot chocolate mix 20+ years ago when the kids were little and we didn't have a lot of money. Now I make it because I don't want any of the chemical additives in the commercial mixes.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just saw this post again . . . sorry Mackay for the delay.

I tried making some a few weeks ago and I think I used about 1 Tablespoon of cocoa. I think I did use a high proportion of sugar, like in that recipe I posted, but it was too sweet for me. I would probably try it again with equal parts of cocoa to sugar and then taste it and fiddle with it some more. If I do, I'll post the one cup at a time recipe. If anyone else does it first . . . share your results with us!

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my homemade recipe is easy to remember
4 cups of dry powdered milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup of chocolate drink mix
1 cup of coffee creamer--we like to try the various flavors,
My son, now 31 couldn't have any artificial flavors and has a sensitivity to preservatives, but this didn't bother him--don't know why not, but it didn't. I do like to fix hot chocolate in the pan with goats milk and chocolate and flavorings, but this mix is easy to have on hand and easy to remember ---- 4/1/1/1.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just mix tablesppon of cocoa, a tablesppon of sugar, mix witha a little milk until it is smooth, and then fill up the mug. If making more tahn one cup, I heat it up on the stove. Easy peasy.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've gone back to making homemade from the directions on the cocoa can. I'm sorry, but non-dairy creamer scares me. :/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
As I was blending a huge batch of my recipe 15 min ago, I was thinking "I will not think about dried milk and nondairy creamer, I will not think about..." :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3 cup powdered milk
dash of salt
That is the one that we used, but I always add about a tablespoon of vanilla and just stir it into the sugar before mixing it all up.

Latest posts