"Home made" predator repellant?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
OK, some background. We have this chicken fortress. Heavy posts with wire, buried wire mesh into the coop, electric on the bottom and several strands on the top, covered with nylon bird netting. SO is very attached to all our animals, and each predator that came along got a solution.

Now we have a vixen and kits in our back pasture- she comes back every year, but this year we think either the male is hanging around or we have a coyote (I haven't seen it) because SO says it is larger than the vixen and comes up to the chicken house to check it out and isn't wary of humans. A few years ago we bought cougar urine for putting around the coop to keep away predators- I don't know if it worked or not since I never saw any hanging around anyway, but we haven't lost any chickens.

I am wondering- has anyone tried "marking" their territories with their own urine? I would think it would deter as well as any other animal marking the area. (no, I am NOT going to go out and pee around the perimeter! :lol: I am going to pee in a container and sprinkle it outside the coop)

OK, yes, I'm weird. But I'm also cheap and that cougar urine was pricey! (OK, enough of the cougar jokes- I am of age to be one!)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Have not tried it myself (is easier for males than females, and husband is uncooperative LOL) but I know enough people who HAVE tried it. Some say it seems to make a difference, others say no difference.

I'd say you can try but should not pin too many hopes on it.

But, if you do try it, let us know how it seems to work for you!

Pat

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Any friends with dogs or cats that can mark it for you? That's my only other thought on it.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Collect it first thing in the morning. But maybe you already know that.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I tried to get my Jack Russells to mark around the coop, but they wanted to pee everywhere else before we even got out to it. Our old JRT love to mark, just not on command.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do know from experience that human urine odor will scare the bejeebers out of our coyotes around here. I used to do a lot more deer and spring turkey hunting that I do nowadays. So I have spent untold hours in the woods observing wildlife. Many times nature calls while in a tree stand. I usually carry a ziplock bag for #1 but once in a while I would forget. I would lumber down off the stand and relieve myself as stealthily as possible and always try to cover "it" up with leaves, dirt, or anything else handy.

Even though deer have EXCELLENT sniffers, I think the coydog has better. A deer will stop and sample the air every time and then usually continue on. But a coyote will IMMEDIATELY skeedatel away from the area every time.

Human urine may be a very good predator repellant around the chicken coop.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Good to hear! I am hoping. And best thing is, it's free :D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wondering if the difference in men's vs. women's urine would matter? Animals can detect so much from urine. I'd hate to think some adventurous male critter would be hanging around thinking there was a female of some sort "in heat." Or maybe it would have to be a primate to make that distinction. Got any gorillas in the woods?:hide

Latest posts