"Home made" predator repellant?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Wondering if the difference in men's vs. women's urine would matter? Animals can detect so much from urine. I'd hate to think some adventurous male critter would be hanging around thinking there was a female of some sort "in heat." Or maybe it would have to be a primate to make that distinction. Got any gorillas in the woods?:hide
Well, if that is the case, she could put an add on Craigslist---- Wanted--male to come pee all over my chicken coop. :gig

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, I am peri-menopausal with all the joys that entails. So, if my pee smells like any kind of signal it would say to male animals "get out quick while you can"! :gig

And, yes, first thing in the morning is the most concentrated. Before I have my coffee!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd update on how this keeps critters away- it does work! It is cheap, efficient, non-toxic and it works. It doesn't get any better. Except that I have been informed that it is undignified, messy, and a silly thing to do, and what if someone came into the house and discovered that I was peeing into a container every morning. It looks like an infirm elderly person lives here with a container for peeing in (even though it IS in the bathroom and not just anywhere in the house!). :barnie

I don't think my SO gets me.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We started "marking our territory" around the chicken coop when we first started making our work trips out here to the property.

The hoop coop for our chickens was the first building on the place. Our Aussie, at that time, Pepper Anne picked up the habit and we've never had a predator problem with the birds...except for the occassional egg loss from our black snakes (don't consider them a problem as they keep the rattlers and copperheads in check).

There was a hole in the ground behind the coop that had me a bit worried, so I started filling it in with rocks. Pepper would dig out the rocks everytime I went to get more and here's why...

If you click on the pic, you'll notice the dirt she dug out of the hole to make it just right for her. :lol:

We've got the garden fenced but not the beginnings of our orchard so me and Bubba J (our new Aussie. Lost Pepper at the end of January this year. :hit) and have been making the rounds around it. Glad he's a he because his favorite past time is marking his territory and nothing is safe!

Dawn

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH pees around the coop. We've never had an incident where our chickens attacked. We do have quite a few. A possum or coon came through the yard the other night, but never bothered the chickens. I even have chicks (3 months old) that sleep in the run up against the fence.

He also will pee around the garden....and yes, he must reapply after rain.

It works great. I really recommend it.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend brought me a giant bag of human hair, from the barbershop. I am sure it wouldn't keep big predators out- but it has kept the woodchuck from digging under the fence in my pumpkin garden...Can't get Dh to do the pee thing!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only "frugal" person using all available resources! I do mourn the loss of my Jacob's Cattle beans to the rotten woodchuck, though. While I was spreading pee around the perimeter the beans were fine. Now they are all eaten down to stems. :( I just get tired of hiding the "weird" things I want to do, though.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just get tired of hiding the "weird" things I want to do, though.
Maybe I'm cruel, but I save up my "weirdness points" and break them out when the family asks what I've been up to! :gig

Dawn