Home Made Teat Dip

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
In veterinary medicine,we sterilized the floors and surfaces with h2o/bleach 30 to 1. They taught us that mixing it stronger creates a film over the surface and prevents sterilization.

I only know what I was told, haven't done any research or have any links or anything, but I believe 1/30 will sterilize. :hu

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder how many cups of water my sink holds. I honestly have NO idea. I am just eyeballing an approximation of the ratio that gave me the right color on the test strip.

chriswasan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've used the suggested dip by Fiasco as well and have had no problems at all. And I haven't really been great at making any real ratio either. I just fill up a peanut butter jar (mid sized) with hot water, a couple of healthy drops of the Dawn dishwashing liquid and a splash of bleach. The Dawn, as insisted by Fiasco, is the agent that softens up the teat. I've found that is indeed the case, my girls have never had tough udder and have never had infections either. As a matter of fact, when I let them down to browse, they can get fairly torn up by the blackberry brambles, but every morning and every night we are cleaning and disinfecting with the solution and it heals up very fast. Sometimes when they have the bramble cuts I'll go the distance with Udder balm after milk, but only because I want to really seal up the cut after cleaning.

Have always had beautiful teats that the girls will still let me mess with :)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have a teat dip. I take a spray bottle, fill most of the way with clean water, and add 10-15 drops of tea tree (essential) oil. Mix well. Spray on a paper towel and clean before and after.

It's more natural and doesn't use bleach. I wouldn't use bleach on my boob so I didn't feel right using it on hers! (no offense against those who do, it's just a personal choice).

chriswasan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with trying to find an alternative to bleach, it's just so scary thinking that if the alternatives aren't as strong...just kind of a scary thought to me is all. When breast feeding a human baby, we have our cleanliness of our house and showers daily and that sort of thing. Clean bra and so on...but out in the barn...even if it's as clean and sanitized as you can get it ... I'm still real hesitant on that one. Just a matter of choice of course and if these alternatives work that would be awesome. I'm just not willing to go that far (that natural I guess) at this point in my milking parlor. I clean everything up at all times, but the air still has the "barny" type stuff. The human household doesn't...I would presume LOL. If I had to I would dip my boob in diluted bleach and soap to keep the bad critters at bay, but since we don't...I reckon it's just a matter of choice.

Great discussion and if there are folks here who've been using the more natural methods in the milking parlor or barn for a long time with no issues I would love to hear it.

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz-I was wondering about TTO. Thats actually what I had in mind for a replacement. I will have to research a little more. We just got our goats yesterday and they will be off to the breeder in August, so I still have time!

chriswasan-I have the same reservations as you do. Hopefully I can find a safe alternative. I would prefer to not use bleach.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's a lady behind me who's had goats for years (among lots of other critters). She does things very natural, and was the one who told me about the tea tree oil. It's even cleared up warts on teats when she got a new doe in milk, covered in warts.

Since I'm allergic to most soaps and other cleaning products (personal and household), it's perfect for me. And I am definitely a germophobe.

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
Since I'm allergic to most soaps and other cleaning products (personal and household), it's perfect for me. And I am definitely a germophobe.
Me too! I haven't used bleach in YEARS! I love TTO. Have used it for so many things. I am going to really do some research on this. I really want to use it.

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I tried the fiasco farms recipe today. I am not going to use it again. It was drying to my own hands, so I really don't think I want to put it on the girls tender teats. I have pretty dry skin as it is, so maybe it isn't a problem for someone who doesn't, but I know it irritated me, so I don't want to risk it with my goats. I will have to keep researching.