Home made yogurt...

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok... I was once on BYC and saw a thread on homemade yogurt, sounded like a good idea, but I never tried it....

Until I got my awesome yogurt maker!

I am now a firm believer that everyone should try this! I bet a lot of you already do, but I hadn't seen it and thought i'd bring it up

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Good morning! I have been making yogurt for at least 15 years. I love i, kids love it, hubby loves it. I'm having my morning coffee now, but soon I will be having my fruit smoothie, with frozen fruit, yogurt and honey.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You don't need yogurt maker. Miss P's directions don't include one and it turns out very yummy!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Yum Yogurt!
I use a small ice chest to incubate the yogurt, and mine is made from homemade soy milk. No cow to feed, just a pail of beans in the pantry!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
For simplicity's sake, I have always used a yogurt maker. Also, I very rarely buy new culture. I have gone years using a tablespoon from my previous batch-to make a new batch. My opinion is my yogurt maker takes up less room, I rarely lose a batch, and I don' need o buy new culture. So I'll stick with my yogurt maker.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My kids LOVE yogurt. I usually stir in a bit of our homemade fruit jams/jellies/butters. Just in case anyone wanders here who doesn't already make their own, I thought I'd add a couple of links. Here's how to make yogurt with the jar/cooler method:

http://childreninthecorn.blogspot.com/2008/02/making-yogurt-part-i.html

And here's a link to using the machine, making yogurt cheese, and one of my favorite things to do with it!

http://childreninthecorn.blogspot.com/2008/02/making-yogurt-part-ii.html

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I make yogurt, too! It's so satisfying to have a batch turn out just right. I seem to have a lot of variation in texture, though. Any ideas? I just use my oven. I also seem to need to rejuvenate the culture quite a bit. Any ideas on this?

I'd like to toss in a great cornbread recipe that uses 1 cup of yogurt in case there's anyone out there like me who needs to sometimes quick use it up before it goes bad. It's a good one!

Cornbread
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
cup sugar
1 t baking soda
t salt
1 cup plain yogurt
2 eggs, beaten

Blend dry ingredients. Add wet. Stir just until blended. Bake in greased 8x8 pan 20-25 min at 400.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love my yogurt maker. the kids mix in a bit of homemade jam to sweeten it up. I will have to try the cheese maker next. Oh, corn bread with yogurt now that sounds good.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I make yogurt, too! It's so satisfying to have a batch turn out just right. I seem to have a lot of variation in texture, though. Any ideas? I just use my oven. I also seem to need to rejuvenate the culture quite a bit. Any ideas on this?

I'd like to toss in a great cornbread recipe that uses 1 cup of yogurt in case there's anyone out there like me who needs to sometimes quick use it up before it goes bad. It's a good one!

Cornbread
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
cup sugar
1 t baking soda
t salt
1 cup plain yogurt
2 eggs, beaten

Blend dry ingredients. Add wet. Stir just until blended. Bake in greased 8x8 pan 20-25 min at 400.
That is a good recipe, me&thegals. I will have to try to remember that the next time we make yogurt. I usually make 6 or 8 quarts at a time..... for the chickens.... :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yeah--I love that recipe! It's pretty lean and low calorie without the usual fat in cornbread recipes. I even replace the flour with whole-wheat pastry flour and it works well. Mmmm--yogurt!