Home made yogurt...

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband eats the organic greek plain yogurt and my dogs and chooks eat organic plain .How ,with a yogurt maker should I get one ,would comeone make the 2 types?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
What do you mean Diane?

If you are trying to recreate the specific taste of their yogurt; I'm afraid that might not work. I've never eaten the Greek yogurt, so not sure, but the type of milk used will often affect the taste, like what the cow has been fed or if pastured, the breed, etc. Even if you have those right the yogurt might not taste the exact same. I'm sure even storebought yogurts will fluctuate in taste over time.

ZohBug

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
My husband eats the organic greek plain yogurt and my dogs and chooks eat organic plain .How ,with a yogurt maker should I get one ,would comeone make the 2 types?
Cultures for Health has different types of yogurt starters. You can get a Greek yogurt starter from them and use your regular method for making organic yogurt or get a regular yogurt starter from them as well. I've tried making Greek yogurt using Greek yogurt (specifically Fage) from the store and it didn't work out as well as I'd liked. It separated and the texture was really weird. Apparently there's an extra step involved in making Greek yogurt and I just didn't bother to try it again since I found using starters to be foolproof and I spent quite a bit of money on raw milk.

Here's a link to their starters: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/Yogurt-Starter-c2/.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thank you B and Z .My husband likes the taste and consistency of the Greek yogurt so I wanted to see if that is possible to create with a yogurt maker and what directions I need to follow etc.