Home Remedy Dewormer?

sparkles2307

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It is very un-economicalf ro us to drive the 2 hours to the nearest vet to get dewormer for our dogs. Anyone know of a home remedy I could whip up for them?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some people swear by Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) added to pet's chow for internal parasites. I've also heard of feeding pumpkin seeds to pigs for worms, but I don't know if dogs would eat them. Our Farm store now carries tape-wormer, along with the other kinds of wormers. Maybe you could mail order some off of Pet Meds?

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't know what it would do to dogs, but we used to use Beechnut chewing tobbaco for our horses, donkey and ponies.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't know what it would do to dogs, but we used to use Beechnut chewing tobbaco for our horses, donkey and ponies.
My grandad told me of this years ago. Its the nicotine thats supposed to be the worm killer. My dog Shredder had worms once, and I figured smaller body mass=diluted amount of nicotine. I dip BTW... This may be gross lol, but I took him for a walk and a couple of times I spit down his throat. His worms disappeared, and that was 8 years ago. I still occasionally do it, as a preventative measure. BTW, I have used a dewormer from the veterinary clinic, also preventative. However, I mostly depend on the ole dip-trick. It is important to remember nicotine is poisonous in large amounts. Shredder is about 85 lbs, and when we do the dip-trick, its usually about 2-3 spits. Hope this helps, and sorry if its gosses yall out lol.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well Tomy, I have to say..it DOES gross me out a little.. :sick However....my grandad used to raise BlueTicks. He had the BEST coon dogs in the county...and not ONCE did they have worms...Why? Because once a year, usually in the spring..he would take a small wad of tobacco, and shove it down the dogs throat. Like a pill. he said the nicotene killed ALL internal parasites. I am a smoker..and for some wierd reason....my Poms get into the ashtrays if we dont empty them at night. They LOVE to "dip" the tobacco. They get a small peice from the burnt end, and suck on it. I swear...wierd..but true, and NONE of my dogs have ever had worms! There is just something to those old time remedies. Dont guess those chickens will "dip" So, I will stick to the pumpkin...it works well for them!

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol thats why we used beechnut. It was sweet enough for us to get the horses to eat it right out of our hand :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Soapy water works. The soap works as a surfactant and dissolves the protective oils in the worm's skin and allows the digestive juices to kill the worms. My granny and my mom always used this for chickens and pigs. I don't recall us ever buying de-wormer for our animals and they thrived.

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What kind of soap was used to make the soapy water mix? Most of the so called soaps bought at the grocery store or Wally World, are not actually soap....but are cleansing bars made from who knows what? (I don't think antibacterial soaps, or zest would be very good for an animals insides.):/

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have used the "dip" method. A small pinch of copenhagen down the throat and no more worms.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
smithx9 said:
What kind of soap was used to make the soapy water mix? Most of the so called soaps bought at the grocery store or Wally World, are not actually soap....but are cleansing bars made from who knows what? (I don't think antibacterial soaps, or zest would be very good for an animals insides.):/
Salatin uses Basic H from Shaklee Company and I bought some for this purpose. It goes a long, long, long way, so it justifies the extra price. But then, I got to thinking about what my granny and mother used on the pigs and chickens and it was plain ol' dishwashing liquid in dishwater.

Any soap can work as a surfactant....and I have washed out the kids' mouths with a dab of Dawn before without any bad results! :lol: My youngest should be very well wormed at this point! :gig :lol: :lol: