Home Remedy Dewormer?

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Any soap can work as a surfactant....and I have washed out the kids' mouths with a dab of Dawn before without any bad results! :lol: My youngest should be very well wormed at this point! :gig :lol: :lol:
Wow! I feel better. :ya

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Food grade diatomacious earth works for chickens. Would it also work for dogs?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Beekissed said:
Any soap can work as a surfactant....and I have washed out the kids' mouths with a dab of Dawn before without any bad results! :lol: My youngest should be very well wormed at this point! :gig :lol: :lol:
Wow! I feel better. :ya
Ha! I was thinking the same thing!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wifezilla, how are you using the DE?
DE is safe around all livestock, I got some the other day to sprinkle in the bedding in the goat barn. I also add some to the soil in some of the potted plants because they were getting little mite type bugs. Evil!

I found this recipe to treat coccidiosis:

1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp slippery Elm bark
1/2 tsp cinnomin
and 1 cup of boiling water
Mix everything and let steep for 20 minutes.

I originally found it for treating goat kids, but I mixed some up, added one cc to one of my show rabbit's feed, and one cc to it's water, the rabbit was on its death bed basically, and the meds I ordered hadn't arrived yet. I believe it saved the rabbit, after a week or two she was back to her normal self. That was several months ago and she's doing great. She's actually due in a couple days.
I also treated a different rabbit a week ago with this and he has gained almost all his weight back and his appetite.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I use the DE to keep down the bugs in the duck pen. The only worms my ducks have had to deal with so far are the yummy snack type ones they keep finding in the compost pile :D

I was also going to use it to keep slugs out of the garden beds. There are a few the ducks can't get to. If they could, I would have no slugs, but no plants either!

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can give your dog a monthly heart worm medication that includes dewormers in them most Heartworm medication does. You can buy a years supply from the vet at a time. Their are many different options out their it's best to talk to your vet about which is best for your needs and your budget. They normally average out to about 5-8 dollars a month.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I use the DE to keep down the bugs in the duck pen. The only worms my ducks have had to deal with so far are the yummy snack type ones they keep finding in the compost pile :D

I was also going to use it to keep slugs out of the garden beds. There are a few the ducks can't get to. If they could, I would have no slugs, but no plants either!
We hate slugs too but we usually pick them off and throw them to the chickens. We use DE with our animals. Just make sure it is Food Grade DE.

Please be careful when applying DE in the garden. It will harm ladybugs and honey bees.

ETA: VermX is available in the US and it is safe for all animals.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The lady bugs and honey bees congregate around the Japanese spirea. No DE will go on those. Just around the base of my garden plants :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I used to stable my horses at a place run by a very old man. He always gave tobacco to his horses as a wormer. He had nice fat, robust horses. His leopard appy had the most glorious mane and tail very thick and long. (Kinda rare for most appys.) Anyway their looks proved that his method worked.

I knew another man who smoked "Pal-Mal" (sp?) cigs and he always threw the last inch of the cig to his dogs who just ate them up like it was popcorn. (Pal-mal cigs have no filters.)

I have also given my horses D.E. and to my chickens pumpkin seeds and cayenne :somad pepper...they don't even notice the heat.