Homegrown Herbal Tea?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I eat cooked nettles. They very much remind me of spinach. just wear gloves when picking. it doesn't take much heat to neutralize the little hairs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If anybody has yaupon growing on their place, the leaves, dried and lightly toasted, make a nice tea. Plus, it has caffeine in it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm going to try and grow herbs again next year. The cold and chickens wiped out my oregano and the basil didn't last long out of the supermarket, ditto the rosemary. Note to self: do not buy plants at the supermarket again…

The only homegrown herbal tea I can remember drinking was chamomile. That was very nice.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Basil is very hard for me to grow! This year I left it in the windowsill where it got too cold and it's mostly dead. A couple hints of green so I haven't given up completely.

I got a couple trim of leaves from it this year so it wasn't a total loss. I used some of it on thanksgiving dinner!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A friend gave me a cutting of chocolate mint, which I have managed to root in a glass of water. Now I have to get it into a pot. She also warned me that if you grow different kinds of mint, keep them far apart; if they are too close together, they will cross or something, and you end up with just a generic minty taste.
I planted a bit of ginger root this fall, and it now has three full leaves, woot!
I have made tea from our wild chamomile and mint, also nettle tea (I dry huge amounts during the summer so we will have plenty for the winter months). I've also added herbs like borage and lemon balm to my black tea.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is an old thread, but I was reading it today looking for information on nettle tea. @sumi, you might find this thread interesting.

I did not know to separate mint or that mice didn't like it. I did know it can be invasive. I've got a lot of mint and oregano that made it through last winter. I'll add more herb beds this year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for bumping this old thread... I'm gonna go move my mint now... ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought chocolate mint from the nursery. Forgot about them. They're still in the pots and somehow still alive.

I had a could lemongrass and lemon balm grow from seed! Low success rate, but I'm happy for what I have! I am torn between getting them established or harvesting leaves for tea right away

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What's the best tea for congestion. I've been coughing in spurts for well over a week. Producing clear but small amounts of phlem. No headache, fever, sinus pressure, etc... I don't think I have any kind of infection, just this ongoing cough...

Latest posts