Homemade Air Freshener

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My house is stinky. :sick

We have a stone basement that is normally very dry (as far as stone basements go). However, since we've gotten all this rain, the floor is getting somewhat damp. No standing water, but it's almost like there's condensation on the floor. So, it smells like musty, basement, which is permeating the entire house. I can smell it as soon as I come home after work.

Does anyone have any recipes for air fresheners? Or any ideas on how I can make my basement smell better?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not one that enjoys perfume smells. I really can't even stand fabric softener. Maybe you could try baking soda. :idunno

g

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a dehumidifier down there. Good luck

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with mrscoyote. Unfortunately the only way to get totally rid of the smell is to dry the entire basement. Dehumidifiers may be the only way. Otherwise you will have that artificial perfume smell throughout the house. Air fresheners are one of the worst smells I can think of. My eyes start to water as soon as I enter a home with one.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cheaper than a dehumidifier, is to open a window and put a fan into it- sucking the air out of the window. This works like a charm, and fast. If you have a very hot, and dry day- you can blow that air in. I lived in a 100 year old house, with a dirt basement- every spring the fan went in!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:pop

For this type of basement, wouldn't a dehumidifier just continue to pull more moisture in? I don't know, just curious.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I agree with the dehumidifier. but as far as an air freshener is concerned, I make one every winter to make the house smel nice, and for therapeutic reasons.

I use a choclate fondue pot,or whatever its called, with the tea light. In the basin, I add water, cloves, cinnamon sticks, some orange or lemon peel and simmer with the tea light. I also add eucalyptus eo and sometimes orange oil, if I don;t have orange peel.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can scent your house with just about anything, but definately get the humidity out whatever way possible. I don't think air fresheners would ever cover that scent entirely, so your house would smell like said air freshener and mildew...

But, you can take just about anything that is absorbant and dip it into anything that smells good, ring it out and voila air freshener, lol. But personally, I'm a candle fan. Absolutely love candles!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
:pop

For this type of basement, wouldn't a dehumidifier just continue to pull more moisture in? I don't know, just curious.
If the windows are open, its kinda moot, if it is humid outside. We have had it so humid out that our tile in the basement was perspiring, but we did not use the dehumidifier, since we had no desire to close the windows. Had we closed the windows, it would make more sense.

You could alsways wipe the condensation up, andf keep on top of it. If there is anything down there that can mold, I would move it to a drier place.