Homemade Air Freshener

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya, ditto on the drying with the dehumidifier.

A lot of times that musty smell is mold (don't freak). Maybe you can spray some areas with some bleach water or pine sol water (not if you have indoor kitties). I helped a friend who did restorations on houses, and this is what they did.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Musty and mold are two different odours. Living on the lake we dealt wth very high humidity at times, and we had to use a dehumidfier. I would definitely dehumidfy first before anything, close the windows to do it or you are just sucking in water from the outside. Most times this will get rid of the musty smell.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And you're absolutely correct. My internet nose was in a different space. :)

What about using Dri Lock? It's a pain to put on, but it works well.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will definately get some fans down there to dry things out.

miss_thenorth, the cloves, cinnamon, and orange sound like it smells really nice. I don't have a fondue pot, but I could simmer it on the stove I think.

I definately don't want a "perfume-y" smelling air freshener, I was thinking more natural, subtle fragrances. I tried this one over the weekend, and it smells really nice. It's not too overpowering, but it will help to cover the basement smell until I can get it dried out:

2 Cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 drops lavender essential oil

Put ingredients in a spray bottle, shake well.