Homemade Automatic Dishwashing Detergent?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't notice any problem when I was using the vinegar. I haven't used it for a long time as I kept forgetting to open the door to let the dishes air dry AND having some fluid in the rinse aid thingy is what triggers the heating element in the dry cycle to come on! WTH???? Had to have a technician come out to tell me that.

I'm not aware of ever hearing or reading about anyone that had problems with long term vinegar use in their dishwasher. But I do have to agree w/ your mom somewhat. Maybe it's not as acid to cause any problems? Anyone else have an opinion?

I flat cheered when we got a good water softener! Worth every dime.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
wait, huh? liquid in the rinse part to start the heating thing? That doesn't make sense, unless I am misunderstanding, because we almost never have liquid in the rinse thing, and our dishwasher dries hot plenty. There is a switch on the front that you can turn it on or off... Very odd!!

Yes, I am interested to know. I still have yet to mix up any detergent to try it... I'm a little nervous about the etching issue. Etching is permanent and I just don't want to do anything to harm my dishes. I wish there were a way to test it out without doing any harm. of course it also takes a long time to SEE the etching, and by then it is too late :-/ If I still had old dishes I would be doing it in a heartbeat - if I ruined them I'd be able to make adjustments and then just get new dishes later. Decisions decisions....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Go to a yard sale or thrift shop and get some dishes on the cheap. Then, do your experimenting w/them.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Ooooo Deb is on the ball! Good idea!!
I wonder how long it would take to notice if it is an issue?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I noticed the start of the film on some clear glasses first. It took less than a month.

Yes, I was just as surprised to find out about the heating element and the rinse aid compartment. Made absolutely no sense to me at all. It was a brand new dishwasher, but we bought the floor model and no instruction booklet was available. I just figured that the element wasn't working.

So I leave it empty and the element doesn't come on. Weird.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Good point, Marianne, I could get a bunch of cheap glasses and use those for a while with cheap dishes and see what happens.
I would assume that ours isn't that way since it has a switch to turn on the heat dry or air dry.
Very strange configuration. Sometimes those deals are a challenge because you can't figure out how things work without the booklet. Did you try searching for the booklets online?

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can also use a spoon of lemonade Kool aid mix The original without the sugar will take the place of the citric acid and you can find it on sale frequently. That will help with the filming on glassware and give a nice lemon smell.