Homemade Automatic Dishwashing Detergent?

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
wow great thread...can't wait to try the homemade
you know...i have been using the tabs (on sale of course)
but can you imagine regular price is $18
:th

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
myzanya you will be AMAZED at how much you save. I love the homemade detergents for the price and the performance :)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I was sharing this with my mom, and she asked about whether or not the borax/baking soda would etch the glasses. She commented that many of the manufacturers of china recommend not using those types of ingredients. So I am curious to know if you use it, if your dishes end up scratched, and whether or not you're using nice enough dishes to care :p
Don't want to damage my dishes since they are rather nice!
Thanks!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mine ended up really nasty looking, but I later found out it was the washing soda that caused it. I was educated by someone here on the board that worked in that field.
I was told that the glassware wasn't etched (what I thought), but to think 'waterglass'. You know that milky looking glassware? Soaking in straight vinegar for two full days did nothing. Short of taking 80 grit sandpaper to it, I think I'm stuck with it. Gradually it's coming off....very gradually. :th

Since so many other people use it and have good luck, I dunno. But now I'm afraid to try the homemade stuff again. A lot of people buy the powdered auto dish detergent and cut it with baking soda. I did that for a while, but finally just switched to the store brand and it works well.

I'm also pretty anal about prerinsing dishes so I can use the shorter cycle...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For the dishwasher I always used:

1 tablespoon borax
1 tablespoon baking soda
add vinegar to the rinse dept.

I stopped tho. I basically never use the dishwasher anymore. I decided with ony 3 of us and wash a pot or 2 while cooking to stay ahead, a small sink of dishes was easy to tackle. So my dishwasher holds some of my bigger roasting pans etc.

When hubbys parents come over and there are more dishes I MIGHT use the dishwasher. But I don't want that cost anymore and I don't mind doing them.

aumcchildren

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I found the recipe for mine that works well. Someone had posted a very simular one way back. I use 1 c borax, 1 c baking soda, 1 cup salt I put 1 TBS inmy dishwasher. I use Vinegar in my rinse. I add about 1 TBS of lemishine. It really helps with the foggyness on the glasses. Came out sparkling clean and it is half the cost of what I was paying to do dishes.

aumcchildren

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you. I registered a while ago but you know you get busy..looking at blogs..facebook and taking care of everything. So wondered back on now that it's winter and I am bored..lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
aumcchildren said:
Thank you. I registered a while ago but you know you get busy..looking at blogs..facebook and taking care of everything. So wondered back on now that it's winter and I am bored..lol.
:lol: Yep, well we're glad ya came back ;)