Homemade bread in one hour

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've often thought if I could only have 1 food and 1 beverage, it would be bread and water. Most would see that as a punishment. Now, if they threw in 1 condiment, it would be Kerry Gold Butter...the best butter on earth! Now, that would be heavenly!

One-Hour-Bread-Recipe-from-Cravings-of-a-Lunatic-2.jpg
+
salted-iso.jpg
+
glass-of-water.jpg
=
Cloud-Heaven.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just marked this site. Nice directions, great ideas & wonderful for those of us who only need/want a few plants with less work. I can do this & also HATE weeding. Do plan a large area of 3 sisters plantings for own use and feed for animals as they dry. Corn, beans, pumpkins/squash.

Moon, that greenhouse just needs a solar/temp controlled window :p But, sounds like you will have winter veggies! I'm wondering why you put the tiny holes in the cap -- I would put them in the bottom and just open the cap to fill. Would that work?

I buy water in bottles that are heavier, stronger lids, then drill a hole for the chicken nipple to make a waterer for the birds. When I have a broody hen, couple roos, etc., this works well & can be serviced from outside pen.

I know this is a "bread thread" BUT -- this popped up!!!:lol:

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hawaiian (portuguese) Sweet Bread

6-7C. flour
3/4C.mashed potato flakes
3/4C.sugar
1t.salt
1/2t.ginger
2t.vanilla
2pkgs.yeast
1C. milk
1/2C. water
1/2C. butter
1C.pineapple juice,room temp.
3 eggs, slightly beaten

Grease three 8-9" round cake pans (sometimes I also will use casserole dishes or regular bread pans). In large bowl combine 3C. flour, potato flakes, sugar, salt, ginger, vanilla and yeast, stir to blend. In med. saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120-130*). Add warm liquid, juice and eggs to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moist; beat 4min. on med. By hand, stir in 3C.flour to form stiff dough. On floured surface, knead in 1/2-1C. flour until smooth and elastic. Put dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel in warm location. let rise until doubled.

Punch down. Divide into three parts;form into round balls. Put in prepared pans; flatten slightly. Cover; let rise until doubled. Heat oven to 375*. Bake 25-30min. or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pans immediately, brush with butter. Cool. Makes 3 loaves

Monica

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My grandma had wood stove & made bread. WOW....fresh butter from cows milk. So, in AM she'd be making biscuits & I wanted "faster". She would set a small iron skillet on top of stove, add butter and give me a biscuit to fry. That rascal would puff up and have grilled butter on both sides. Good!!!!

My mouth is watering. Her huge loaves of bread -- amazing.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually the homemade version of baking powder is much healthier because it doesn't contain metals in it. I used to use this but cream of tartar was so expensive. I will check out your bulk prices. Thank you for your comment.

I believe this recipe does have a yeasty taste, but we happen to like it. I've heard that fast risen dough does increase the problems that some people have with gluten. I often have sourdough starter in the refrigerator and I have mixed up huge bowls of dough (slow rise) in the refrigerator, using it everyday or so. What ever method of homemade bread it is surely cheaper, and healthier than store bought.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep meaning on growing more herbs, I just haven't got started since moving. I'll probably just make a tiered garden with different size flower pots. I did this several years ago and it sat in front of the house by the door. It was really convient. Of course tender plants like basil have to be replanted. I did have a rosemary plant and garlic chives, that lived about 3 years before I forgot to water it.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just watered my seedling tomatoes (3 varieties), peppers, egg plants, lettuce (2 varieties), cucumbers, turnips, spinach, basil and parsley for the 3rd time today. I have to keep a close eye on them every day. The greenhouse got up to 130 degrees today before I remembered to open the doors. If I forget to open the doors or water, they'll be goners.

I made a great waterer for seedlings. I took a 1 liter tonic water bottle, heated a sewing needle, and punched about 1 dozen holes in the cap. I can water these little guys (and gals) without knocking them over.

The temps are supposed to start dropping this weekend, so I'll have to put a heater in the greenhouse. I am hoping for another crop in November/December.

Fresh produce in the late Fall! Wahoo! I've never had this.:ya