Homemade chocolate topping?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was making the hot chocolate that Freemotion suggested, and it gave me an idea. Yknow how you mix the cocoa powder, stevia and water before you add it to the hot milk?
I noticed that the texture is a bit syrupy, and I'm thinking I could maybe make my own choc syrup/fudge topping out of this sort of thing.

When I absolutely have to have dessert, I have a scoop of sugar free vanilla Breyers and a few black cherries, and I'm always thinking "chocolate...this needs chocolate..."

So, anyone think this would work? I'm sure I'd have to cook it down, and I know choc can be funky about temperature. And what about fat, shouldn't I involve fat somewhere along the line?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure about stevia, but I make syrup as follows:

1c cocoa
2c water
2c sugar
2t vanilla
2* salt
The * is short for dash, to make the list above look tidy, lol. I simmer it down. Tastes just like the storebought stuff. Maybe work around with the recipe to make one with stevia?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ooooo, how about adding heavy cream, and/or butter, and/or coconut oil? Mmmmmmm......

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking coconut fat, too!
Only thing is, I'm not sure how it will react once it cools. I'd like to end up with something I can have in the fridge to drizzle on things, not something I have to heat up every time...we shall see what happens :-D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Might as well throw some shredded coconut on top for good measure. :D

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it's in the pot, cooling. It started getting pretty thick, and I figure it will be thicker when cool, so I'm going to wait and see if it needs more cooking down. I spent a lot of time stirring, I just put it on low and stirred and read an entire magazine while stirring :lol:

I mixed a cup or so of cocoa powder with water, then added about two cups of milk. It took a lot of Stevia to get it right, about 6 squirts. I also added some butter, because I thought it would make friends with the milk better than coconut fat.

I hope it doesn't make a disaster :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Straight coconut oil would make a hard shell when poured on ice cream and you'd have to melt it every time. I actually like the idea, as I used to love those dipped softserve cones back when I ate garbage.....oooo, sometimes I miss garbage!!! :rolleyes: Yum!

I'd think that for a really nice fudge sauce, butter and heavy cream would do the trick. Let us know how your recipe comes out, as heavy cream is scarce around here. I'll have plenty in the spring if I am milking two does, though. Hopefully. Mya wiggled her tail today, according to dh. At the buck.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It ended up being fantastic! The consistency wasn't like chocolate syrup, it was more of a loose pudding.

Loose pudding? Jeez, I can make *anything* sound revolting.

Anyway. It spoons onto ice cream just right. Thicker than syrup, thinner than fudge sauce, and very chocolately. It also froze onto the cherries, which was a fun bonus.

I was pleasantly suprised at the way the butter incorporated into it, and then stayed incorporated. I kind of expected a layer of fat on top. As I was cooking it, the butterfat globules got smaller and smaller, then eventually dissapeared. Where'd they go? I imagine it has something to do with the behavior of chocolate and fat when combined together?

Latest posts