Homemade deodorant

pgy710

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Read an article somewhere (think it was TipNut) re: homemade deodorant using coconut oil, baking soda, essential oil (tea tree), and cornstarch. Made it and I absolutely LOVE it- no stink and very little sweat- TONS cheaper than the mitchum I was going through by the crate, and much healthier to boot!! My question is that it is making the skin in my pits quite dark-- not itchy or red, but kind of like a deep dark tan. It does not feel irritated, but sleeveless season is here and I'd like not to be self concious about lifting my arms! Any thoughts?? (Sorry for the length of the post but I wanted to be thorough-Thanks!):/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
pgy710 said:
Read an article somewhere (think it was TipNut) re: homemade deodorant using coconut oil, baking soda, essential oil (tea tree), and cornstarch. Made it and I absolutely LOVE it- no stink and very little sweat- TONS cheaper than the mitchum I was going through by the crate, and much healthier to boot!! My question is that it is making the skin in my pits quite dark-- not itchy or red, but kind of like a deep dark tan. It does not feel irritated, but sleeveless season is here and I'd like not to be self concious about lifting my arms! Any thoughts?? (Sorry for the length of the post but I wanted to be thorough-Thanks!):/
Welcome!

Would you mind giving me the measurements of each ingredient? I have all of those ingredients in my cabinets, I would love to try to make some.

I am not sure why those ingredients would make your skin tone darker. I'm sure someone else here will know.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah i need the ingrdients cause that sounds like the beginnings of a self tanner

pgy710

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I didn't use a specific amount of the coconut oil, just enough heated in the microwave to make it all come together. Use equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch, then add just a couple of drops of the tea tree oil for it's antiseptic properties ( I also added some jasmine oil 'cause I like the scent), mix it up real good then add the melted coconut oil. Keep it a little loose because it will harden back up as it cools. I keep mine in a wide mouth plastic container, and use an old metal tablespoon to apply it- just warm it with some hot water, dry it then the warm spoon remelts the goo-just need a pea sized amount to cover the whole pit with a thin film. Could also use an old twist up store bought container, but my bathroom's too cold and it gets stuck LOL. Good luck! The hubby and I both love it 'cept for the darkness.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Try cleaning your pits with some rubbing alcohol on a cloth or gauze square...but don't shave first! Ow!

Leave out the cornstarch as it will, combined with the dark, damp environment that underarms provide, grow bacteria and/or fungus. It works great without it.

Occasional cleaning with alcohol helps if you have days when deodorant doesn't seem to work. The alcohol will kill any bacteria that may have proliferated.

pgy710

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Will try the alcohol thing. I did try not using the cornstarch with the first batch i made because I was a little concerned about clogging up the pores, but honestly I was wet all the time ( I sweat ALOT!!). Maybe next batch I'll use 3/4 BS and 1/4 cornstarch. Thanks for the help!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
yeah i need the ingrdients cause that sounds like the beginnings of a self tanner
You are too funny!! I have a friend with fish belly white legs, I should make her some! :lol:

Thanks for sharing the ingredients. My next project!!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this. If you dissolve aluminum sulfate (alum) and turn it into a crystal, it's supposed to be excellent. Just dip it in water and rub under your arms.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I use the crystal. I bought one five years ago and still using it!! Not bad for ten bucks.

Latest posts