Homemade Fabric Softener?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like saving electricity by hang-drying most of my clothes. I DON'T like the static cling. What can I put in my rinse water to help? (I've been using dryer sheets not liquid fabric softener.)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You are getting static from hanging your clothes up? I can honestly say that has never happened to me, --only when using the drier.

I have used white vinegar in the rinse cycle, as it helps soften clothes, and removes odours. Not sure about the static cling though. When I use the drier, I make sure I don't over dry my clothes, this ensures the least amount of static, but, at least where I live, it is inevitable, as I refuse to use fabric softener.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The static cling (mostly) shows up when I go to take the clothes off, but it's still annoying :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hmm...I have no static cling off the line

????

I don't use liquid fabric softener ever. When I do use the dryer I use a smidge of dryer sheet. I cut them up lol

so be interesting to see what everyone says on this????

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm very willing to try white vinegar in with the rinse water. My cleaning supplies consist of baking soda, vinegar, and borax anyway :lol: Well, and the Fels Naptha for the laundry soap ;)

And this stuff was dried on hangers in the house, and then just moved to my closet - not line dried, brought in, then hung up. Don't see how that would make a difference (if anything, the 2nd method would seem more likely to cause static cling) :hu

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Static is usually caused by extreme heat while drying. also, by extremely dry conditions in the house. I have a difficult time comprehending how you can get static from hanging your laundry up to dry, whether inside or out. Unless your house is v e r y dry. then I got nothing for ya except to maybe use a humidifier or a big ole pot of water on your woodstove.

If using the dryer, usually not over-drying your laundry, not using excessive heat, espcially towards the end of the cycle, woulbe be beneficial. I also read online about using a cheap conditioner, mixing it with water and dipping a rag in it, wring it out and toss that in the dryer. Fabric softener is bad stuff.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Vinegar is what I use in the rinse cycle in place of fabric softener. It helps with static, but honestly, in the middle of winter it doesn't seem to keep it completely at bay. I use recycled wool dryer balls to help "fluff" things and it seems to help a little with the static - things don't stick together like they used to, but still some "clinging" on synthetic fibers.

BUT, I'm trying something new now. I really like the liquid "natural" fabric softener from 7th Generation. It is, however, expensive and with our family size we can burn through a bottle in just a couple weeks - or sooner if my hubby does any laundry - he HATES static. So a friend just started this and she likes it:

take a canning jar with wide mouth - any size, doesn't matter, as long as you can reach into it. Fill with 1 part liquid farbric softener (any kind, I prefer the more natural ones) and 1 part water. Cut a plain cheapie sponge in half (or smaller if you'd prefer) and keep the sponges in the jar. When you want fabric softener you gently squeeze the sponge and toss it in your dryer. Works like dryer sheets, but no waste and the liquid will likely last a LONG time.

This won't help for drying on the line - but might help with dryer static.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks - another take on that last idea: we had a Tupperware lady come do a demo in our home ec class back in the day when I was in high school. One of the alternate uses/suggestions given for their pickle container was that very thing - dilute the fabric softener, cut sponges in 1/2 or 1/4 and then lift 'em out and throw one in the dryer like a dryer sheet. Just toss it back in the container once the load is done.

I'll try vinegar in the rinse cycle (how much? anybody?) and report back how that seems to work.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just fill my fabric sofener compartment for the rinse cycle. In the past when I had a top loader I would use one of those downy balls. It would stay afloat until the spin cycle, then it would tip and spill the vinegar out so that it was saved for the rinse cycle. I think it was about 1/4 cup.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
take a canning jar with wide mouth - any size, doesn't matter, as long as you can reach into it. Fill with 1 part liquid farbric softener (any kind, I prefer the more natural ones) and 1 part water. Cut a plain cheapie sponge in half (or smaller if you'd prefer) and keep the sponges in the jar. When you want fabric softener you gently squeeze the sponge and toss it in your dryer. Works like dryer sheets, but no waste and the liquid will likely last a LONG time.
That sounds like a neat idea...I'm gonna try it. Thanks! :D