Homemade Fabric Softener?

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aluminum foil balled into a ball or if you dont have static but want to lessen drying time you can make a natural dryer ball out of yarn or use a tennis ball.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also use white vinegar instead of fabric softener. I was surprised at how well it works. I use about 1/2 cup in my auto dispenser, as that's all it holds, but it does the trick.
I used to spray diluted fabric softener on a designated wash cloth and throw that in the dryer with the damp clothes. I put two, odd sized DRY towels (again, designated for that use) in with the wet clothes, set the dryer on LOW heat for 10 minutes, then hung everything up to finish drying. No stiff clothes at all, no static cling. Those dry towels in with the wet clothes really cuts down on drying time. I have to hang clothes inside the house to dry - too much wind with grain dust, field dirt, etc. Dang it.

Now, just using vinegar does the trick 99% of the time. I still have the spray bottle with diluted fabric softener. I just added a lot more water to it and have used it a couple times this winter when something was a little static-y.