Homemade fertilizer experiment

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The white stuff is powdery mildew. All my squash have it and the squash bugs have arrived. I'm going to pull them up and plant sweet corn.

I make chicken butt juice. I put raw chicken poop in a bucket, enough to cover the bottom, then fill with water. I don't put a lid on it, I let it set over night. I pour some in a gallon watering can, about 3" deep, then fill with water. I walk down the row on my heavy nitrogen feeders and it really made a difference. I do believe you are on the right track! There is red clay/loam all around us (we have sugar sand) so for iron, we get a few buckets of red dirt and I put it around the plants.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The white stuff is powdery mildew. All my squash have it and the squash bugs have arrived. I'm going to pull them up and plant sweet corn.

20170612_180247_zpsitckup6m.jpg

Does it look like this? I tried washing it off. It wont budge

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup. My squash normally have it, but this year, it is all over them. We've had lots of rain and high humidity. If you water, don't use a sprinkler, water the soil with a hose.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well the aeration made a mich better product. Alot less stink, and all the solids were decomposed in the bottom of the bucket.

I fed the garden again today. We have noticed more heavy growth as well. The tomatoes are starting to produce, the melon and cucumber vines are spreading well and have flowered, and the okra is finally making decent gains.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More gains today
In 3 days the foliage on the okra has doubled. The leaves are about 9 inches in diameter. I took some pics. Post later
The vines have spread alot in the past two days as well. It seems the aeration made the fertilizer less of a time release and more of an instant boost. Very happy with it.

Now im wondering if i should back off on the high nitrogen fertilizer and look for something that feeds fruit growth.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too much nitrogen will give you all leaf growth. Maybe just stop the fertilizer and let it balance out.

Latest posts