Homemade fertilizer experiment

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah squash are doing good. We have already pulled a couple squash and zucchini. The wife is going to fry them up tonight

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your plants look amazing! The tomatoes look happy and the squash looks great! :thumbsup

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well i figured i would give the epsom salts a try. The bag said spread 2 tablespoons around each tomato and less on others. I gave them all a little. Hopefully the minerals will do good.

I also got another bucket of slop brewing. This time with aeration! Hopefully it will stink less. Its a cheap little battery operated aerator for minnows. We will see how that goes.

So far im pretty happy with the garden. As long as i dont do anything to mess it up we might have a good summer

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, i forgot to mention. The cantaloupe, water melon and cucumbers are starting to take off and spread. The okra is starting to get some large leaves and making gains as well.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good thread. I think its just a nitrogen deficiency. The store bought tomatoes were off to a much better start in potting soil. Mine just had sand in the garden. Im going to keep fertilizing and see what happens. They arent discolored, just not as dark green as the others

Have you used Epsom Salt on your tomatoes? I find that a dose of that, along with what ever else I'm using as fertilizer makes a huge difference in leaf color, as well as over all strength of the plant.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah i gave them some yesterday. Everything seems to have liked it. There was good growth overnight on the okra, leaves are much bigger now. Could have just been the water and fertilizer. ...

Wo far everything is looking good. But one of the squash is starting to get the white powder stuff on leaves. Its some type of mold i guess. Not really sure what to do about it

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine didn't look so good but a week after feeding them a tomato fertilizer and a little epsom salts I can't believe the difference. They are a foot taller and blooming.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you ever visit TheEasyGarden.com. They have a lot of experience gardeners there. Very friendly too.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you ever visit TheEasyGarden.com. They have a lot of experience gardeners there. Very friendly too.

I checked it out. I joined byc and then looked over all the sister sites when it was down. I dont visit the others anymore. This one has everything i like.