Homemade Fertilizer

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
curious to see what happens. i didnt fertilize my onions at all this year and they are pretty big, but i do the back to eden thing and throw manure on top of the garden all winter too.

Like corn, onions are heavy nitrogen feeders. If your corn produces in your soil without any ammonia nitrate, then your onions should do fine also. Most all soil is deficient in nitrogen around here. That's why I see farmers with big tanks of anhydrous ammonia around planting time. Most always it's corn that's being sowed.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is I believe my best onion I've got growing in both rows. I gave each 50 foot row about 18 gallons of ammonia mixed at a rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon of water I have 6 1/2 gallon brew buckets. I'll know in a week or so if the ammonia and water worked or not. The leafs should turn dark green if it worked.
IMG_20220529_183123490.jpg

But in the mean time I can say my hands are very clean at the present moment anyways.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Might be hard to see with the picture but it's the same onion just after 2 days of 1 Tablespoon ammonia to 1 gallon water mix. New growth coming up dark green, darker green than the prior growth. I'm calling the ammonia water mix a success already. The proof is plain for me to to see. So CR was right "after a couple days", plus CR makes homemade bacon 👍

IMG_20220531_200223793.jpg

So there you have a cheap homemade nitrogen fertilizer to green things up. Try it maybe on a test spot on your lawn. See if it works like it did for my onions

Last edited:

crooked-creek-farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My limited understanding Epsom salts, is it makes sulfur, nitrogen and potassium that's already in the soil more available to the plants. It encourages both leaf and root growth.

If it's pure Epsom Salts, it should be nothing more than Magnesium Sulfate.
Magnesium Sulfate is a Micro-nutrient, so plants don't need much of it.
Most all soils contain a sufficient amount of Magnesium for plants as long as it's healthy and contains organic mater.
A good way to add Magnesium back to the soil is good compost.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
16 adult goats! Add 14 spring kids! Yeah, pastures get daytime sprinkles and shed the nightime ones. 🤣. Like rabbit poo...goat poo useable as delivered. Chickens everywhere..........7 mini horses add their pasture gold all over. There is ammonia in all. Nope. I don't buy, just shovel for garden. Do add lime some winters.

I've often heard goat poop called magic raisins. I would like some goats and sheep but will have to wait until this winter. I'm kind of burned out on building fencing for a while. Plus Bekaert Sheep and Goat 30 1348-4 12.5 ga 330' fence and 6 foot t-posts are crazy money right now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's officially a shortage of ammonia at Dollar General, I grabbed the last two 1/2 gallon bottles at $1.00 each 😁. At the rate of one tablespoon per gallon of water I have enough to make about 256 gallons. My onions are gonna be happy 😊. Before and after pictures to follow.
IMG_20220529_163345358.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
curious to see what happens. i didnt fertilize my onions at all this year and they are pretty big, but i do the back to eden thing and throw manure on top of the garden all winter too.