homemade kefir and yogurt help me out....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
As is, it is only good for smoothies, imo. But........ If you strain it to make ke-cheese, it is delish. Honey and vanilla for a sweet treat, tastes like sweetened cream cheese, and also salt, galric, chives, pepper, parmesan cheese makes an awesome dip and if thick enough a great spread for bagels. I have also just added salt to it and used in it place of sour cream for tacos etc.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
As is, it is only good for smoothies, imo. But........ If you strain it to make ke-cheese, it is delish. Honey and vanilla for a sweet treat, tastes like sweetened cream cheese, and also salt, galric, chives, pepper, parmesan cheese makes an awesome dip and if thick enough a great spread for bagels. I have also just added salt to it and used in it place of sour cream for tacos etc.
I'll have to try that again. The one time I did I didn't like it at all. And this from someone who likes most things :lol:; I am very far from a picky eater! Maybe I was expecting it to be more like drained yogurt. Well, warmer weather is coming soon; I shall endeavor to do some more experimentation. Chives, pepper and parmasan would make just about anything taste good I think ;)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Is there any more to straining it than putting it through, say, a coffee filter?I've just been fermenting once, in a tightly lidded jar (it makes a nice "pop" when I open it - do I need to NOT have it tight?). I'm definitely going to try the 2nd ferment idea. But I tried straining it after 1st ferment, and all of it went on through. There were maybe 5 little flakes of stuff that stuck to the coffee filter :hit I REALLY wanted some ke-cheese! (Call me weird, but I love peanut butter and cream cheese as a combo, and I wanted to see if it worked well with ke-cheese.)

Right now, I'm making REALLY happy dog and kitties - I've only had some of the kefir one night - it had a mild flavor, and I added some vanilla. It fooled my nose at least into thinking it tasted good :lol:

My grains are already reproducing, though! I've got the original 3 you sent me, and 2 itty-bitty ones, too! One of the medium-sized ones, though, is developing a "hard spot" for lack of better terminology. Is this bad?

Oh! And I know I damaged the good beasties, but it SURE did make some excellent corn muffins last night (used it in place of the milk) - I've never had corn muffins be that superbly yummy and crumbly!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bethanial - I don't think the "hard spot" is a problem; just ignore it, and it will probably go away :lol:. And, honestly?, the best thing I have done with the kefir so far (except feed the chickens) is in my fairly new found recipe for German black bread - no good kefir beasties left for my health, but the bread is wonderful, and has enough fiber to keep me "going" for a few days :lol: - also healthful ;). Sometimes I sneak a bit into cream dressings, but really ... I don't like the stuff, and much prefer yogurt. I just wait for summer, and blueberry smoothies!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When I make the kefir, I put the grains in milk and set it on the counter, covered with a piece of material. After a day, I take out the grains and put the kefir in the fridge. I let it sit 'as is' in the fridge for a day, then I strain it. You could use a coffee filter, I use a old peice of cotton bed sheet. I get clear separation of curds and whey.

I dont like th double ferment, b/c the kefir goes fizzy. IMO, milk kefir should not be fizzy.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The jar on day 2 of fermentation (I wanna try the fizzy :) ) is definitely separating into curds/whey just sitting on the counter! So I'm betting when I strain it this time, I won't have a problem with getting my ke-cheese!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got my grains a few days ago and I'm still trying to get past the funky smell stage... tonight when I changed the milk they were plumper and not as funky smelling... So let's hope for a decent kefir tomorrow :fl I only had kefir the one time and it was a fruit smoothie... so I'm kinda scared not knowing how just plain kefir is supposed to taste... :lol: On the other hand my yogurt keeps turning out nice! mixed a large batch with honey and vanilla yummmm it's a tad runny but not too bad! has a much smoother taste to it than store bought since I use the whole milk!

Once I get this kefir thing down I was eyeing some kombucha starters on ebay... still not sure about trying that just yet... I don't really care for the taste of tea let alone the thought of "booger tea" :sick

Side thought... Once I have enough kefir grains I want to convert a few over to water kefir... could I use them in tea? I was just wondering if that would be easier than having to keep up with all these different starters... I don't want them to die off but do want to take a break from time to time...

campbellscoop

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've quickly browsed over most of your posts... but maybe I missed it... who has the "original recipe"... or "how tos"... of making kefir?

I lived in Russia for over 5 years... and "Kefir" was the Russian equivalent to sweet buttermilk. There was another product called "Bifidok" which was supposed to be even more nutritious thank kefir. Now that I'm back in the states... I would like to learn how to make my own too. What's this about "grains"... where do you get them? Isn't it possible to make your own "starter" some way without having to get them from someone/someplace else?
(Just a question... again... I know 'NOTHING' about how to make it.

I really want to eat healthier and give my digestive system a "treat." I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (can I even drink kefir?)

It's too late to write more... but whoever can help put me on the right track... I'd be forever grateful. Thanks for your help... looking forward to getting to know you all.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
campbellscoop said:
I've quickly browsed over most of your posts... but maybe I missed it... who has the "original recipe"... or "how tos"... of making kefir?

I lived in Russia for over 5 years... and "Kefir" was the Russian equivalent to sweet buttermilk. There was another product called "Bifidok" which was supposed to be even more nutritious thank kefir. Now that I'm back in the states... I would like to learn how to make my own too. What's this about "grains"... where do you get them? Isn't it possible to make your own "starter" some way without having to get them from someone/someplace else?
(Just a question... again... I know 'NOTHING' about how to make it.

I really want to eat healthier and give my digestive system a "treat." I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (can I even drink kefir?)

It's too late to write more... but whoever can help put me on the right track... I'd be forever grateful. Thanks for your help... looking forward to getting to know you all.
I am thinking if you can do dairy products, Kefir would be a great thing to drink.

It does take a colony of "grains" from someone to get you started. And I would bet, they differ in flavor depending on where they come from, and what they have been using as a growth medium.

My favorite Kefir is "Lifeway" brand. To duplicate it's rich, smooth and creamy flavor, I add half and half or cream to the milk and once and a while I buy some Lifeway, (plain) and add it to the milk for the kefir.

IHere is the best Kefir site I have ever seen. It is gives you every answer you could ever think of when it comes to growing Kefir.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html