Homemade laundry detergent: Liquid vs Dry

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought some Fels Naptha Soap from Soapsgonebuy.com :clap
Now, I'm not sure if I should go the liquid or dry route :hu It seems like the dry would be easier to store, but I am used to liquid.

What about you guys? What do you prefer? TIA :D

Dawnmf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I make the liquid. I buy my fels naptha from Ace Hardware, it's 1.37 a bar. Maybe you have a hardware store that carries it.

Also the liquid is easy to use for stain pre treats.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I used liquid before and wanted a liquid recipe so that is what I made and I love it.

In another thread that I read on this somewhere, some users of the dry version were having trouble with it all getting rinsed out of the clothes. I think they determined it was because of having hard water. I don't know if my water is hard or soft here, but I never have liked any dry detergent because sometimes there would be soap crystals there when I would go to put it in the dryer. Yuck!

Those folks found using warm or hot water made the dry version work better.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I prefer the dry. Always comes out the same and I can store a LOT in a little space.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had always used liquid until i made my own clothes soap, i prefer the dry-is easier to store and not as messy--i didn't like the slimeyness of the liquid--but that might be do to the use of using our own homemade GM soap. It is so easy to keep a Tablespoon measure in the bucket, no drips, no stirring and it does come out the same each time -we have soft well water.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I will admit the wet version is slimy.

However what we do for that is find a nice container to recycle (such as an old liquid detergent container or juice containers work too) and plunge the whole thing in your bucket to fill it.
You do need to rinse off the outside, but I do that over a sink of warm water with the plug in. Then I use that water with a rag as a cleaning liquid for wiping down cupboards or floors. Seems to work great as an all-around cleaning soap as well.

Once your soap is in the container, you just pour the correct amount into your dispenser. No more slime.

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I bought my stuff today to make the powdered kind, BUT I couldn't buy a single bar of Ivory, can I use Octagon? it smells good.

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
vachicks said:
I bought my stuff today to make the powdered kind, BUT I couldn't buy a single bar of Ivory, can I use Octagon? it smells good.
??? I guess I will give it a try

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry I am not familiar with the dry version. I usually go the liquid / gel route. I keep a 5 gallon bucket right near the washer and scoop with a 1/4 c measure.

I use Zote mostly. Let us know how yours turns out.

gina