Homemade laundry soap help please

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a hard time finding Fels-Naptha soap and am about to make my first batch of homemade laundry soap. Does any bar soap work and has any one ever used Octagon soap? Octagon is a bar laundry soap similar to fels i think. Also I have a child with sensitivity to soaps, homemade soaps are supposed to be hypoallergenic right? Thanks for the help

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Any laundry bar will do. I usually use Sunlight. I have even used bath bars, ivory to be exact, but be careful to not use bath bars with moistorizer or oils in them, they can leave your clothes more difficult to clean in the long run.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have tried Zote and Fels Naptha, and like the Fels Naptha better, but Zote smells nicer. It just had a glumpier consistency when we made it. I've read that Ivory works great just like Morelcabin says, and that is readily available. I'd try that if nothing else.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
firem3..........do you have a Meijers store near you?
They carry Fels-Naptha.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Meijer near me sells Fels for $1.39-I just made a batch today!
Also noticed that I am down to only one bar of Fels!:ep
I made a trial batch of higher concentrated soap- used the same ingredients as the 5 gallon batch but only dissolved it in one gallon of water! It is nice and gloopy but so far not too thick to go in my front loader.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I use Zote. I actually like the smell better. I can get it for 59 cents a bar.

gina
Gina, where are you getting your washing soda? Are you doing the liquid kind or the dry kind or laundry soap?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can get fels-naptha at our Farmers' Co-op, Ace Hardware or Krogers. Harder to find for me is washing soda, but I have seen it at Walmart and Krogers.