Homemade laundry soap help please

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace said:
TanksHill said:
I use Zote. I actually like the smell better. I can get it for 59 cents a bar.

gina
Gina, where are you getting your washing soda? Are you doing the liquid kind or the dry kind or laundry soap?
I do the liquid. The recipe I have is for I think 3 gallons but I just double it and fill a 5 gallon bucket. Then use half as much.

I bought my washing soda at Albertsons. When I went to that LDS Emergency Fair they told me were they bought theirs. If you need me to check I can go look again for you. I found it over 1 year ago and bought several boxes.

I don't use the soap in the dispenser of my front loader. I put it directly on the laundry. I think because mine is concentrated and thick it was clogging. Now I have no problems with it.

I do think the Fels cleans a bit better than the zote but I think it irritates my kids. Maybe next time I will use the Ivory.

gina

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used Zote soap, WalMart for 99 cents. I had to order 35 lbs of washing soda on line last winter. Couldn't find it anywhere. Oh, and only the WM an hour away carries Zote. The one nearer to me does not....

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone used half fels napha and half zote in the same batch? I need to make soap today and was thinking of trying that.

You can find zote in the mexican grocery stores if you have those around.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I used Zote soap, WalMart for 99 cents. I had to order 35 lbs of washing soda on line last winter. Couldn't find it anywhere. Oh, and only the WM an hour away carries Zote. The one nearer to me does not....
I had a hard time finding the washing soda, so bought a bunch when I found it. Later, when I went to use it, it was hard as a brick! I actually had to pound it with a small sledge hammer and sift out some usable powder. I threw a lot away. Did you have trouble like this? This was during a very damp, rainy summer. I now buy one box and put it in a tight glass jar.

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thanks for all the info, i found fels at an old hardware store near me for $1.98 a bar which is high compared to most of you so i think ill use ivory or the octagon i found where i get borax. can someone link the best tried and true recipe for a front load (which i hate and will never have another one of).

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For those who use their own homemade soaps for the bar, has anyone tried a 100% coconut oil soap? It's drying on the skin, but might be perfect for laundry.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
For those who use their own homemade soaps for the bar, has anyone tried a 100% coconut oil soap? It's drying on the skin, but might be perfect for laundry.
Zote is coconut oil soap.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My aunt lives in IN and found FN soap up there for $.99 a bar. She bought a bunch of it and sent it to us, as I could only find it for $1.98 also. Then I found it right at my local grocers~where I hadn't even dared to look~for $1.39.

Having said that, I was wondering why some of us who can find all the ingredients cheaply couldn't form a nice little chain where we can send it to those who are having trouble doing so.

Anyone interested in doing this or would the shipping be more than the difference in costs?