Homemade lotion for extreme dry skin (cracking fingers etc)?

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a whole cabinet full of wonderful lotion-making ingredients but no recipe for the kind of lotion that will make a big difference in either preventing cracking dry skin or healing existing trouble spots. My dad has requested some for Christmas and I'd love to be able to provide something like this. He used to use lip balm when I was a kid, and I feel sure there must be a better solution.

Any ideas?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd love to get a recommendation for that too! My hands are so sore and cracked right now that I can hardly stand to bend them. I have a bunch of beeswax I saved up this year and I'm just trying to figure out what to make with it. OTC, I have found Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream helps the most. I wonder if there are any recipes to make a homemade version of that!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Get a sheep. Go fondle it a while. Presto!

(Seriously. It's true. Lanolin is *the best* for dry chapped hands, unless you are allergic; and patting, or shearing, a sheep or two is an amazing way to moisturize. Also you end up with a sheep or two. THere are worse things :))

Sorry, that was probably not what you were looking for, but just on the off chance that you have ever considered getting sheep... :)

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use straight shea butter.

Of course the best thing to prevent dry cracked skin is to have a proper blood level of vitamin D.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I use olive oil all over when my skin is getting dry, and use a cocoa butter stick on the worse spots. Shea butter is great too but I don't have any now.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:

(Seriously. It's true. Lanolin is *the best* for dry chapped hands, unless you are allergic; and patting, or shearing, a sheep or two is an amazing way to moisturize. Also you end up with a sheep or two. THere are worse things :))

Sorry, that was probably not what you were looking for, but just on the off chance that you have ever considered getting sheep... :)

Pat
This is so true!! and even though my sheep are filthy, when you wash your hands, the lanolin is stil on your skin, protecting it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am looking for a good lotion recipe too. My dd is wanting a good moisturizer for when she gets out of theshower. It's not like she can run out to the barn, and well, you know. :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

Of course the best thing to prevent dry cracked skin is to have a proper blood level of vitamin D.
Ditto on the D.
When we started taking fermented cod liver oil, all issues with dryness and cracks disappeared.
When we slack, it comes back.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Wifezilla said:

Ditto on the D.
When we started taking fermented cod liver oil, all issues with dryness and cracks disappeared.
When we slack, it comes back.
I'm going to have to check into that. I get really bad cracks in my fingertips this time of year and they are so painful. Although I have my hands in bleach or dishwater a lot (I know, I know...I need to buy a pair of vinyl gloves!). It seems really excessive and I don't know anyone else who has that problem, so maybe I'm deficient. Certainly don't get enough sunshine this time of year either. My hands are so rough I absolutely can't put on a pair of pantyhose without destroying them. :hit

(Seriously. It's true. Lanolin is *the best* for dry chapped hands, unless you are allergic; and patting, or shearing, a sheep or two is an amazing way to moisturize. Also you end up with a sheep or two. THere are worse things )

Sorry, that was probably not what you were looking for, but just on the off chance that you have ever considered getting sheep...

Pat
:yuckyuck Seriously rotflmbo!! That came at me sideways and I got a really good (and much needed) laugh out of it. Thanks Pat! I don't have any sheep or know anyone who does, but I don't suppose fondling chickens would do me any good. :gig