Homemade lotion for extreme dry skin (cracking fingers etc)?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I don't have any sheep or know anyone who does, but I don't suppose fondling chickens would do me any good.
Actually I find that processing meat chickens is somewhat moisturizing to the skin, because of the greases in the chicken skin and fatty tissues I suppose... but it is *nothing* like as long-lasting as lanolin, plus honestly I would much rather smell like a sheep than like dead chicken innards :p

Lanolin really is THE best. Go to a petting zoo if you have to, lol. Ten minutes of weaving your fingers into the sheep's wool and you'll have DAYS AND DAYS of beautifully moisturized skin :)

Pat, wishing I'd had sheep when I was breastfeeding both children b/c I had major cracked-nipples problems and commecial pure-lanoline lotion is tres expensive. Although OTOH I am not sure of the hygeine implications of, like, smearing a sheep all across my bare front after each time the baby nursed :p

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Pat, wishing I'd had sheep when I was breastfeeding both children b/c I had major cracked-nipples problems and commecial pure-lanoline lotion is tres expensive. Although OTOH I am not sure of the hygeine implications of, like, smearing a sheep all across my bare front after each time the baby nursed :p
Must.....resist.....the.....urge......to.....comment.......... :gig

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Maybe you could get some wool for spinning and just use it for the lanolin. You can rub it on your hands . . . or wherever.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6088

WATERS
2/3 cup distilled water--OR distilled rosewater or
-- orange flower water)
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
1 - 2 drops essential oil of choice
Vitamins A and E as desired

OILS
3/4 cup apricot, almond or grape seed oil
1/3 cup coconut oil or cocoa butter
1/4 tsp lanolin
1/2 - 1 oz grated beeswax

Directions

1. Combine distilled water, aloe vera gel, essential oil and vitamins in a glass measuring cup. (Tap water can be used but it will sometimes introduce bacteria and encourage the growth of mold.) Set aside.

2. In a double boiler over low heat, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just enough to melt.

3. Pour oils into a blender and let cool to room temperature. The mixture should become thick, creamy, semisolid and cream coloured. This cooling process can be hastened in the refrigerator, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hard.

4. When cooled, turn blender on the highest speed. In a slow, thin drizzle pour the water mixture into the center vortex.

5. When most of the water mixture has been added to the oils, listen to the blender and watch the cream. When the blender coughs and chokes, and the cream looks thick and white like butter cream frosting, turn off the blender. You can slowly add more water, beating it in by hand with a spoon, but don't over beat! The cream will thicken as it sets.

6. Pour into into cream or lotion jars. Store in a cool place.

I have used this one and really like it!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Go to walmart, target, whatever....go in the baby care section and get a tube of Lansinoh nipple cream. It's in a purple box, it'll be with the breast pumps.

I use this stuff for EVERYTHING....burns, chapped lips, cracked skin, chafing issues...etc.

It's about $8-9 for a tube but it lasts forever and a little goes a long way. I'm still on my first tube and my youngest stopped breastfeeding Jan 2008....I bought it with my first child in 2005.

I carry it in my purse....it is my "boo boo cream" for everything!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Awesome tips, thank you! I particularly enjoyed the suggestion to fondle sheep. :) :gig While I don't see that one happening anytime soon, I CAN see myself buying a tube of lansinoh.

I'll have to try the crock pot method on that hard lotion. That sounds good. I especially like that it doesn't contain lard or Crisco, which I've seen some solid lotions made with. My Dad is a vegetarian and doesn't want animal products on the outside either.

Thanks again!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know that this is gonna sound awful but have you tried a bit of olive oil mixed with raw honey- you smear it on and then put a pair of old gloves over your hands and go to bed- it kills any bad germs and the oil is really nice on your hands.
My hubs is a diabetic and has heel cracking problems and mostly due to dry skin and probably a bit of yeast. The honey will actually kill off the over abundance of yeast and the oil really soaks in well. and the socks keep from getting all over your sheets!;)
I also got lanolin when breast feeding and it was marlvous at keeping everything happy and supple! (is that TMI :lol:)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I know that this is gonna sound awful but have you tried a bit of olive oil mixed with raw honey- you smear it on and then put a pair of old gloves over your hands and go to bed- it kills any bad germs and the oil is really nice on your hands.
My hubs is a diabetic and has heel cracking problems and mostly due to dry skin and probably a bit of yeast. The honey will actually kill off the over abundance of yeast and the oil really soaks in well. and the socks keep from getting all over your sheets!;)
I also got lanolin when breast feeding and it was marlvous at keeping everything happy and supple! (is that TMI :lol:)
My dh has type 1. When he had trouble we used raw coconut oil.
Now with the fclo, no issues, so we use the coconut oil for the light dryness that comes with living in Alaska.

I have been hesitant to use the honey on him due to the sugar content.
Have you noticed any problems with that?