Homemade lotion

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If they were dried flowers it's good. You'll have to look for any mold of they were fresh. Should still be good though.

I have cottonwood buds in oil that have been sitting there about 11 months now. It's only supposed to get better with time. All the moisture evaporated long ago so it's fine. That stuff smells like spring.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone have any good lotion recipes?

I tried one tonight.

So the lotion recipe I found is a bit different than most of the store ones. More oily, but I can actually use this unlike the body butter. The added water helps put a thinner layer that actually soaks into my skin.

I can smell the shea butter in it, but it's covered enough that the lotion doesn't fully smell like old dolls. I don't mind this so much. Next batch I'll add some scent oil. The rosemary oil doesn't cover it enough. Maybe some citrus.

Calendula tisane, calendula and comfrey extracted in almond and olive oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, beeswax mixed with borax and lecithin as an emulsifier, lanolin, jojoba oil, castor oil, rosemary essential oil, vitamin E, tea tree oil

Only took me 4 hours to make it. Sigh.

Going to stick one container in the freezer to see what that does to it. Shelf life is only 6 months, so if freezing doesn't harm it, that will extend it much longer
That sounds nice, I hope you can share more, I'm really looking to minimize my shopping budget. I'm an avid lotion user so it will be best for me to just make my own lotion.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried whipping it with a hand mixer for a luscious body butter?
@Hinotori , I freeze my Jewel weed/plantain lotion. It freezes very well. Older jars that have been left at room temp get granular. But, I notice that the grainy bits do dissolve after contact with warm skin. Any comments on the way some lotions get grainy or even have crystals in them with age, and what might be done to prevent it?
I'm sure it's normal for it to be grainy, But I just wanna know, Can we add essential oil on some of our lotions? I really want to create one with cinnamon essence.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can add some. I use peppermint to counter the scent of rosemary as they cancel each other on smell. Too much of any essential oil and you risk a sensitivity reaction. That's why essential oils must always be diluted. Very few of them are safe to use undiluted on the skin.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is inspiring me to make my own lotions. I can’t use any of the commercial lotions or face lotions except for Aveeno. I guess I need to plant a herb garden so I’ll have something to start with.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom still goes on about the batch I made with half the water. I had to make more for her. It's controlled that dry patches she has on her arms. Nothing else has worked for her. She started using it on Dad's feet as well to get the scaling off. Dad was surprised that it worked.

It's a very nice way to use topical herbals.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Herbs are what I want to focus on, because they grow easier than most things here :p I'd love to make some jasmine lotion and was thinking of dumping some olive oil over a jar of blossoms, but reading this thread makes me realise I should probably try to dry the jasmine first as my every attempt to do anything with it has resulted in mould. I might have to look in the shed for something to dry it with under direct sunlight outside as it is still too humid to dry anything inside.

When using plants directly for lotions is it better to use dry or fresh? I assume dry would last longer in a lotion or soap but perhaps be grainy? I dont use many beauty products myself by would love a foot scrub and cream.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never leave plant material in my lotions. It's all strained infusions.

You can use fresh herbs. I personally wouldn't try for the long extraction time like I usually do with dried.

For jasmine flowers I'd try using warmed oil (not so hot you can't touch). Usually it's 24-48 when you start warm. Test a small amount, it might cook off the wanted fragrance. Then try cold extraction. Scent can be lost by drying so have to be careful.

I'm going to test around with honeysuckle next year as the plant should finally produce enough flowers.

A warning on that recipe I gave. It uses rosemary oil as a preservative. The scent of rosemary oil will cover most things. If you don't use rosemary oil, you'll need to buy a commercial preservative or use the lotion within a week or so and watch for mold. Just scale the recipe and make small batches then.