Homemade lotion

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
old cloth diapers work great. All the lint's been laundered out ages ago

that and even if it isn't gone, if the cloth is cotton or some other natural fiber it will just go right through ya anyways. :) no hurt. :)

i have some fine mesh fabric that will strain most things really well and it cleans up and doesn't react with bleach if i want to do something more sterile. i also have a reusable coffee filter that is gold plated and that is what i bought to strain the soy milk when i was into making that (which is also the first part of making tofu).

nothing recently has needed that much straining.

for lotions the one i use here the most is a tea tree oil lotion. i have two different store bought kinds and since i was running out of the one that i like the best (because it is stronger) i took some of the wimpy kind and added more tea tree oil to it to give it a boost and have been using that. i use it on my feet to keep the foot fungus away. costs me about $10 per year so that's well worth it. at times i've also used straight tea tree oil but it seems to work better mixed into a lotion which keeps it in place longer/better.

i get rashes here or there and use the tree oil lotion on that and that seems to clear them up.

mindfulmarket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone have a better recipe for a lotion? I tried the one before, seems like my skin is not compatible, I somewhat need a more neutral Ingredient. thanks!
Homemade Lotion Ingredients
  1. 1/2 cup almond oil or jojoba oil (or any other liquid oil)
  2. 1/4 cup coconut oil.
  3. 1/4 cup beeswax.
  4. 1 tsp vitamin E oil (optional)
  5. 2 TBSP shea butter or cocoa butter (optional)
  6. essential oils, vanilla extract, or other natural extracts to suit your preference (optional)
And to add more up... Everything in this recipe is pretty much optional :D:D:D:D

Homemade emulsifier wax
80% beeswax
10% borax
10% liquid lecithin

Melt wax then add lecithin and borax. Stir until well mixed.
Must be made fresh. Does not keep

Lotion
2 parts liquid oil
1 part solid oil
1 part emulsifier wax
4-6 parts water, herbal infusion, aloe vera juice, or other water liquid
1 drop rosemary essential oil per 110 milliliters (4 oz) total liquid
1 milliliter vitamin E oil per 240 milliliters (8 oz) total liquid

All items must be at the temp to keep beeswax melted while mixing. I used mason jars in pans of low simmering water.

Heat liquid oil. Add solid oil until melted. Mix well. Add emulsifier. Add Vit E and rosemary oil. Using mixer, slowly add water until it comes together at consistency a bit more liquid than desired. Will thicken as it cools.

Pour into containers.

My too thick batch has 3 cups of water. I used a very strong calendula infusion. I used almond and olive oils that I oil extracted calendula and comfrey in ahead of time. I used a teaspoon of castor oil in my liquid oil mix.
Thanks for sharing your recipe for homemade lotion! I love the idea of making my own skincare products.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your recipe for homemade lotion! I love the idea of making my own skincare products.
You can just buy emulsifier wax. It isn't as touchy. I used that when I made a bunch of lotion for my uncle because it's guaranteed creamier. Had to add some preservative for him as well because of how much I made since I don't get down there often.

He doesn't like keeping extras in the freezer. The original recipe both Mom and I keep jars in the freezer until ready for a new one. They won't go rancid and last years that way.

Hubby can't use my lotion because he had a just turning skin cancer spot. I use comfrey in it as well as other herbs to encourage cell growth. Comfrey is bad with cancers. That's the biggest reason it's not recommended for internal use now.

mindfulmarket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Storing lotions in the freezer helps with graininess. It's normal due to temperature changes. Use airtight containers, avoid extremes, and consider an emulsifier. Your year-old frozen lotion is a skin-saver! you can also use mindful market's natural product for its natural looks!

Latest posts