Homemade Mayonnaise...

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I made it, tried it, added 'stuff' to it, and it still seems...ugh. I don't know.....oily? I used one egg to 1 C oil as per instructions and it imulsified just fine, nice a creamy. I added some salt, and some lemon juice, and it still is .....then I added more lemon juice, lol. I think in all I added about a half cup. Anyway, put some on a bologna sandwich w/ cheese, tomatoe, and cucumber. I didn't put a lot of mayo on just because I wasn't sure if I'd like it.....well, lets just say, it ain't jumpin on me.

Has anyone else tried it?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't tried that but we don't eat a lot of mayo. We have tried the Soy Mayo from the store which tastes similar but it is pricey.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't made it, but I understand that this is very good.

In a food processor crack 1 egg, season with salt and pepper. Add one teaspoon of French mustard and one tablespoon of lemon juice.

whiz

as its whizzing pour in veg oil until the texture becomes thick and the colour lightens ( between 1/4 and 1/2 pint depending on the egg).

Done.

Enjoy

OaklandCityFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've made both vegan and egg mayonnaise and the only complaint I got was that the vegan one just didn't pan out.

This is the recipe I used.

I thought it was pretty similar to store bought Best Foods and no one really noticed the difference.

risurocket

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The recipe we used is this: (the key is to spoon in the oil small spoonful at time while you are stirring - tedious but result is not oily. My Dh's comment was that he would have liked to have had better quality oil, though.)

1 c salad oil (good quality vegetable oil)
1 egg OR 2 egg yolks
1 tb lemon juice OR 2 tb vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
paprika (optional)

Beat the egg or egg yolks with a rotary beater until slightly thick; add 1 teaspoon oil at a time beating well until 1/3 cup has been added. Add a few drops of lemon or vinegar. The mixture should be quite thick and perfectly smooth. It it isn't you added the oil too quickly or didn't beat it enough. Continue to add the oil and acid alternately until it's used up. Add seasonings to taste. Store covered in refrigerator.

(it was very tasty mayo and my husband would make it again if it was a bit tedious stirring in the spoonfuls of oil)

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The best tool I have found to use is an emulsion stick type blender. They are fairly cheap and you can use them for soups or hot/cold drinks, the possibilities are endless

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
The best tool I have found to use is an emulsion stick type blender. They are fairly cheap and you can use them for soups or hot/cold drinks, the possibilities are endless
I bought one of those SPECIFICALLY for making mayonnaise and I can't figure out how to make it work right. The thing starts smelling like smoke long before I get anything that resembles mayonnaise. I especially bought one for the more expensive models (ok, it was twenty dollars instead of ten) with higher RPMs so I could make mayo. It came with a very brief instruction manual, but no recipes.

None of the recipes I have found say how long it is supposed to take to make mayonnaise. But I slowly drizzle in a few drops of oil at a time and never get anything more than runny egg soup. :barnie

It's so annoying. Can anyone help?

Cassandra

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So you can use regular vegetable oil instead of olive oil? I mean, at the Dollar General here just plain veggie oil is now $3 a bottle so I know that olive oil is higher.

Gonna try this. I'll post at a later date as tohow it went.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx all...I used the egg/oil recipe (found it on BYC) and a tall glass with a stick blender. I put in the egg, poured in the oil, put the stick blender in and in about 2 min had the mayo. I then began to season it as per the recipe (salt/pepper and lemon juice) adding small amounts and tasting after each 'blend'....it came out looking like mayo, but tasted....off. It was like eating the oil...eh.

Oh well, I can say I tried, lol.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a suggestion for those who don't like the taste of the oil.
Try "Extra Light Tasting" olive oil. It is virtually tasteless and very pale in color. I like to cook with olive oil, but John doesn't like the taste or smell of it. This Extra Light stuff... I have eaten a table spoon straight out of the bottle. It doesn't taste like anything.

I bet this would make great mayonnaise (if I ever figure out how... ) :|

Cassandra