Homemade Mayonnaise...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's not difficult to make mayonnaise by hand if your blender-stick thingie isn't working out. No more difficult than beating eggwhites or whipping cream by hand, neither of which is anything as difficult as those who haven't tried it often think :)

The only thing is that if you're making mayonnaise by hand it is almost essential to have either a firmly-fixed bowl (e.g one you can hold firmly between your knees) or a helper to drizzle the oil in.

But it's not hard. Just when you think your arm is going to fall off, you discover you're done :)

Pat

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the problem is, I am afraid to waste a cup of olive oil if it doesn't turn out right. So I start drizzling it in and nothing exciting happens and I chicken out after about a quarter to a third cup.

That stuff is not cheap!

LOL

Cassandra

PONDERCHICK

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I made some tonight also, and I did like it, but it was a little tooo oily. I think if maybe a diffrent oil was used it may would turn out better, but I'm not sure. It is worth the try though!
:)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
The extra light olive oil sounds like a good idea....maybe I'll try to find some thats in a smaller bottle....although, lol, it kinda defeats the purpose if what you make at home is more expensive than what you buy, :p

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
The extra light olive oil sounds like a good idea....maybe I'll try to find some thats in a smaller bottle....although, lol, it kinda defeats the purpose if what you make at home is more expensive than what you buy, :p
Too true, pioneergirl! I didn't mean to imply that I was using the extra light for making mayonnaise (yet.) What I have been using that is so expensive is the regular EVOO. I am pretty sure the extra light is much cheaper than the first pressing. I am guessing it is oil they have squeazed every last bit of flavour out of. LOL It is cheap as far as olive oil goes, but probably not as cheap as mayonnaise.

Cassandra

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use the alton brown recipe but I add some onion powder.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, you have to compare apples to apples. If you're using fresh from your free range chicken eggs and imported extra virgin olive oil, you can't compare it to the price of Hellman's (or cheaper). Go to the gourmet food shop for a true comparison. If you want supermarket priced (or less) mayo, use cheap veggie oil.

Now, for some super yummy dressing, look up a recipe for aioli (garlic mayo). Mmmmmm! Not for the faint hearted, though.

prairie girl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I make mayonnaise in a food processor - here are some of my tips.

Have the egg and oil at room temperature - it makes a difference at how the oil emulsifies.

Eggs are different sizes, even store bought, large eggs are slightly different. It isn't always necessary to use the entire cup of oil, sometimes I end up using 2/3 to 3/4 cup, if you use more than what is needed it will end up tasting oily. I use a regular vegetable oil.

Listen to the sound it makes, when it's done there is a soft "thunking" type sound (don't know how to describe it better :) ) I find that it sounds different even when making it by hand but it's really noticeable when using a blender.

I add a bit of Dijon mustard with the eggs and reduce the lemon slightly. Too much lemon and the mayo can get runny.

To extend the amount and to reduce calories I use 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar and thicken it on the stove with some corn starch. After it cools I add it to the home make mayo and it has 1/2 the calories and tastes almost the same. You may have to experiment to get the vinegar/water ratio to your liking.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Well, I've tried all the recipes, and still can't do it. I guess my taste buds just aren't ready for it, lol. Thanx for all the cool recipes, though! :)

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Prairie Girl has the key - the ingredients must be room temp. The only time I failed at mayo was when I used oil right from the refrigerator. I use a food processer. Take either one egg or two yolks from yesterday's eggs that have never been refrigerated, I choose my largest eggs. The one whole egg makes a lighter colored and looser mayo. The two yolks makes a whipped butter thick yellow mayo. Put the egg(s) in the processor and add one tablespoon wine vinegar and run for a couple of minutes. Then you start to add the oil. I use canola oil only, and it has to be dribbled in. There is a hole in the lid of my food processor that does it for me, when I get about 1/3 of a cup in then I can add the rest a bit faster, but still a slow stream. I put in about one cup oil total. It works fine to do a double batch as well. Have your container really clean and if you have a microwave put the glass in it for 20 to 30 seconds to help sterilize it. Put the mayo in the container right away and in the refrigerator. Because there are no chemical preservatives it won't last like store bought, so plan to make it every few days rather than a huge batch to last a couple of weeks. But then you are not feeding you and your family a lot of nasty preservatives! ;)