Homemade recipes for animals?

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I make cat food once in awhile. One of my cats has diabetes so she can't eat anything other than meat or she'll need insulin. Meat is cheaper than insulin and homemade food is cheaper than the meat only foods. Plus some of the meat only foods are too fattening. They add fat rather than grain as a filler.

Here's the recipe I use.

Raw Kitty Food Recipe
Courtesy of: Dr Susan Beal

4 pounds muscle meat (ground turkey, chicken, rabbit,....)
1 pound heart and gizzards, ground
2 pounds liver, chopped or ground

1/4 Cup grains (millet, millet and brown rice, couscous,....
Overcook the grains. - I leave the grains out..)

1 1/2 Cup Vegetables (try chopped celery, carrots, beans,
squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, broccoli). These may be
chopped, grated, ground - raw or lightly steamed or
lightly cooked in olive oil.

1/8 to 1/4 cup olive oil (or olive and canola)
A handful of chopped fresh parsley
4 or 6 cloves garlic, minced or crushed

Cook the grains, and vegetables (if needed for palatability). Add all to
the meat mixture and combine well. The amount of oil needed will depend
on the fat content of the meats used. You may have to add some water to
the mixture, depending upon whether the meat is fresh or has been
frozen.

Add food grade bone meal at the rate of one teaspoon per cup of meat
used. (One Tablespoon per pound of meat used).

Portion, and freeze more than a few days supply.

We also suggest this diet be supplemented with a Vitamin/Trace mineral
supplement such as NuCat, as well as some additional Vitamin C with
rosehips (about 250 mg morning and night).
There are many other beneficial supplements you may add to you kitties
diets, as well as many special needs supplements. These will vary with
the individual.

I don't remember where I got this recipe but here's a link to another.
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CityChook said:
Puree the raw liver (about 1 lb) in your food processor. You'll need to cut it into smaller pieces first (like 2x2 or so). Try not to throw up.
Yeah... that'd be hard for me! I could not do this! <insert barfing smiley here> :D

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We always buy the same Pedigree dry food to keep from upsetting doggie's sensitive tummy. Whenever we are at Target I look for canned food and can usually buy some on clearance ($.41 last time). One can of wet lasts 4 days around here.

Biscuits I use coupons for whenever I can. In fact, he is needing some more as I write this.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found this as I was searching for a home prepared dog food diet. There's some treat and meal recipes there.

HTH

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I make my own feed for my parrots. Its basically just a mix of organic whole grain cereals and a bit of seed. Sometimes I grind dry peas for them.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I have 2 dogs and they get whatever dried dog food is on sale and cheapest and maybe I split a can of cheap wet food. And of course tons of leftovers from the fridge added...so they make out very well.

Karen, Karen ,Karen...please take this as the friendly advice it is meant to be.
Believe it or not,. Dogs have very sensitive stomachs and digestive systems. Hard to believe when ya see some o' things they will consume.
Anywho, switching from brands of foods like that all the time, especialy a biscuit diet, is very harsh on thier systems and most assuradly will cause diahrria(sp),not to mention the gastro discomfort they are feeling. It is nutritionaly good practice to feed yer dog a steady diet of ONE good brand of food for them.
Left overs ?!?!?
Jist bad bad practice.They are dogs, they should eat only dog food that is nutrionaly ballanced for them.
I have 3 large dogs,2 rotties and a sheppard that are fed twice daily 1.5 cups o' quality biscuit and they get one milkbone after each meal. They are healthy, happy, correct weight, clean teethed, strong and i might add..very happily obedient.
Dogs are very differnt animals when thier minds aren't on thier stomachs.
I might add also that dogs, especialy large breeds, have very sensitive skin that is prone to dryness at certain times of the year. This is the only time my dogs' diets vary. At this time, winter, they get 2 "maintenence" eggs a week.That helps to keep thier skin from drying out. If the air is conciderably dry, i give them a splash o' veggy oil on thier food no more then once a week.

Here's a few things to look at concerning thier diets if ya like.
http://www.yourdogsdiet.com/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my dogs diets aren't going to change. it is what I do and I will be sticking with it. no problems I have ever seen and I don't go overboard with dog food recipes...just me I guess...
thanks for the advice though....I don't mind someone offering their info. on situations, just for me, I won't be bothering with doing anything different...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Left overs ?!?!?
Jist bad bad practice.They are dogs, they should eat only dog food that is nutrionaly ballanced for them.
You said a mouthful there! I wonder...is chicken and cat poop nutritionally balanced...? :hu :D

You are right...they are DOGS, and as such have as varied a diet as nature allows. When I was growing up we fed only table scraps, dead groundhogs, deer guts and scraps...never dog food. Our dogs lived into ripe old age, were never sick, were obedient until the end, never saw a vet, never had a shot. I don't recall anywhere that it said"...and God made the creatures of the Earth, and bags of nutritionally balanced dog food for the dog's consumption....".

These are not children. They are dogs. They will eat any rotten thing they find, drink out of mudholes, lick their own and other's anus. Their stomachs will tolerate anything they are conditioned to. If you condition them to eat high priced dog foods, then they will only tolerate those kinds of food. If you condition them to eat anything that falls on the ground, then they will tolerate most anything that falls on the ground.

My dogs eat regularly priced foods and any thing that gets cleaned out of the frig, any left over vegetable peelings, all my apples that fall on the ground, the tomatoes out of my garden, all the chicken poop in the yard (great dogs, huh?). They are happy, healthy, with strong white teeth, no intestinal parasites, little fleas, no illness, active and obedient.

My dogs are conditioned to live the life of a dog and they are doing it very well without alot of pampering and special foods. Their coats are shiney and healthy, no eczema, no allergies, no gastrointestinal problems. My dogs, actually, are the envy of the neighborhood and are admired wherever they go! One of them is a comfort dog at the local nursing home and she is very well-loved there for her calm, obedient and cheerful good nature. If they only knew she had a snack of chicken poop before she made the trip! :lol: :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dogs are conditioned to live the life of a dog and they are doing it very well without alot of pampering and special foods.

****I couldn't agree more! :) that is my idea of how to handle a dog. It is just the way I do it...LOL--well said!