Homemade recipes for animals?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, if you are reading all the recent posts on this forum today you will find that I was really cranky and defensive the day I wrote that post. I am really sorry if it sounded snitzy and mean, and I will try to control myself and refrain from posting when I am in a bad mood!

Sorry, everyone! :rolleyes: :bouquet

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well, if you are reading all the recent posts on this forum today you will find that I was really cranky and defensive the day I wrote that post. I am really sorry if it sounded snitzy and mean, and I will try to control myself and refrain from posting when I am in a bad mood!

Sorry, everyone! :rolleyes: :bouquet
Hey Bee,
Absolutely no offense taken by me. Folks is folks and we ALL HAVE DAYS and we're allowed to have days ! :p
It's all versatility and we're all different and that's what makes life good stuff. :coolsun

thomasz

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
No homemade recepies for chickens here but my girls will eat anything placed in front of them especially being partial to any combo of veggies ran thru the food processor to make a porage so to speak. They love it also sometimes I add a little suger to the mix and they dont stop till its gone. Weird to say they also like all my remnants from chicken. Throw the carcass in the pen GONE 20 minuites or so. Damn CANIBALLS. They also like deer meat. Shrimp shells are a favorite also. They get everything that goes bad in fridge (within reason) except garlic, onions and citrius fruits. Regular garbage disposals. This supplements their regular crumbles feed (so I tell myself) but it seems not too much they still tear this stuff too. I bet every egg costs me about a buck or better but I dont care its all about doing it. And I love the look on peoples face when I give them a dozen of green/blue eggs!

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These recipes are from a friend of mine from Georgia and these are his words on the instructions.
Edited to add : These are all DOG food recipes !

Chili Cheese Delight

2 lbs of Ground beef
1lb of red beans (dry)
1lb of black beans (dry)
4-5 small/med tomatoes chopped or two 11oz cans of canned.
2 cans of Hunts tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of Chili powder, you can add more if you and your dogs enjoy it.
1 heaping tablespoon of black pepper, you can add more to taste.
2 cups of shredded Chedar cheese, you can add more to taste.

Brown ground beef and be sure to break it up good pour off excess grease and put in airtight container. Add 4-5 cups of water to your crockpot and all the beans, tomatoes, sauce, chili powder and black pepper and turn on high for an hour. After an hour add beef and enough water to cover. Turn on low for 3 hours and stir in cheddar cheese. Stir every once in a while and be sure to add water if needed but not to cover unless you are wanting to make soup.

** My first batch was a little runny so I let is sit on low for another half an hour with the top off to evaporate some of the water. Dogs wouldn't leave the kitchen for that half hour either. I made a half batch just to see how they, and I , would like it. Needless to say it was a hit with the four legged members of the family.. I also used the full table spoon of both chili and black pepper in the half batch so my picky eater just sniffed at it at first.**

Crockpot Special

1lb ground lamb (beef, deer, or chicken will do too..) Erant children...
1-2 cups brown rice
2 stalks Broccoli
2 or 3 medium potatoes
3 medium carrots

Brown lamb, ckicken, beef,or deer meat in a fry pan. Boil water, put about 4-5 cups into a crock pot, so it is already hot while you are fixing the rest of the ingredients. Add cubed potatoes to the crockpot. Cut broccoli and add this to the crockpot. Put the rest of the works in the pot, add enough hot water to cover. Add pepper to taste. Throw in 1 to 2 cups of brown rice and mix. Cook on low until rice has fully puffed and is soft. Let cool and serve over usual dry food or alone if you used two cups of rice.

Heidi's Stew

2 pounds of cubed beef or deer meat (lean)
3-4 medium potatoes
2-3 stalks of celery
2 level cups of dry red or black beans
1-2 cups of rice(brown is best)
1 can of corn
1 can of green peas
3 medium carrots

Sear beef or deer cubes in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. Cube potatoes, block the celery and carrots add them with the two cans of corn and peas inot the crockpot. Add the meat, beans, and just enough water to cover. Cook on medium for three hours or until potatoes are done and tender. While hot add the rice and enough water to cover again. Be sure to turn crock on low, stir often at first, and add water till rice is tender. Add seasonings to taste. pepper is usually needed to take out the bland taste. Check the meat to be sure fully cooked before serving.

This recipe takes my sisters biggest crock pot to make as one batch. One batch feeds her dog for nearly two weeks alone. Again she can stretch this out for nearly a month by putting over her dogs usual afternoon dry food.

Add some jalapenos and onions and I'd eat this stuff.. None of the recipes she sent include any cheese or dairy products for Vitamin D. Dogs don't need it according to her vet. I still give my two a doggie multi-vitamin three times a week just for good measure...

Both recipes above are very similar to stews I've canned before so I can't see why they cannot be canned in quantity. The only thing I specifically noticed was that two of the recipes have no tomatoes in them so they should actually can and keep better.

Moodene

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I made my own homemade chicken treats.
I baked alot of these during the winter and stock them in my fridge or ice box.

Preheat Oven at 300 degrees.
Cookie sheets lined with parchment paper
Have about 5 C of hot boiling water ready. I have a tea kettle full of hot water ready..
In a big bowl add all these items together..

2 C scratch
2 C black oil sunflower seeds- easier to swallow-don't use dried big sunflower seeds that are for birds-too dry
2 C grits--this can be another kind of grain
2 C rolled oats---this acts like glue to hold the stuff together
1 C powdered milk-calicum

Pour about 2 cups of water into the mix and start stirring but you will have to keep adding water to the mixture until it looks gummy.If you poured too much water in it..and just add more rolled oats to the mixture and it will soak up the water..Make the mixture gummy so it will form a mound of gooey stuff on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it..if you don't..the mixture will stick to the cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 mins and check after that to make sure the treats are hard..if not..bake some few mins more and check..I am not sure if you can make them like cupcakes in baking paper cups since I did not have baking paper cups handy..LOL..but if you do..let me know how they turned out..
Here is a pic of mine that I made..I am gonna take a pic of my chickens eating these treats..
You can pack them away in the fridge or the freezer-like I do and put them in microwave to warm them up or rebake them...
Some chickens will not eat them right away since they don't know what they are until they get use to what the treats are..mine knows...
DSC09128.jpg

Moodene

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You can just use just about anything in place of what I use..I used the roll oats and hot water to act like glue to hold my stuff together while baking...

Moodene

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have used potatoe flakes,layer mash,rolled oats, and scratch mixed all together..then add hot boiling water until it looks creamy..then wait for about 5-10 mins for the mixture to settle..then add more water if needed..I feed this stuff to my chickens on cold mornings..LOL..and like i said..you can use other stuff in place what I posted..cooked rice, crack corn,millet,sunflower seeds-black oil kind since it goes down throats better-chopped up nuts,cooked grits,cooked noodles,cooked bean sprouts, hard boiled eggs if ya have too many of them and not enough people to eat them..just about anything except strong tasting stuff..I used MINCED garlic-a little of it.

This can be used up in northern areas where it gets cold..my area hardly gets below 30 degees for about 5 hours...but my chickens and peacocks love a nice warm meal on cold mornings before I go to work as a school bus driver...:)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Oh Ohhh! I have a book called I believe.. cooking for your dog lol, most of the food looks like something I'd want to eat! shhh

We're mostly into treats, the dog food isn't TOO expensive, and we buy chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, it cuts down on food intake because it hasn't got tons of fillers, and most importantly beet pulp in it. The beet pulp just makes them feel temporarily full, but after a while they're back to hungry again.

Treats are super expensive, so we go with making those instead :) We used to make some nice warmy horse treats too, molasses and sweetfeed (or rolled oats) mixed together, shaped, and baked in the oven until they're hard on the outside. Yummy treat in the winter for the horses.

Are you thinking of making your own kibble? Theres lots of ways you can do it with dehydrating meats and vegetables and then mixing.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We make meals and treats for our Great Pyr, Titan. For the flock we make treats. All the things we make for animals could also be eaten by humans. Here are some of our recipes. Some of them came from a Cooking for Animals class at the local cooking school where I used to work.

Pumpkin Risotto
For Dogs, Chickens and Humans
1/2 lb. ground beef
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup pumpkin, cooked and pureed, or canned
5 cups veggie stock (or beef or chicken)
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups rice

Heat oil in a large 12" skillet. Cook ground beef and pumpkin. Add rice and toss. Cook for 2 minutes. Add salt. Add stock a little at a time, stirring constantly. Continue cooking rice until done, approximately 23 minutes. Mix in cheese. We make this without meat for the chickens.

Peanut Butter & Oats Biscuits
For Dogs, Chickens & Humans
cups oats
1/4 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
1/3 cup warm chicken stock or broth or warm water

Preheat oven to 350F.
-Grind 2 cups of oats in food processor or blender to make oat flour.
-Pour all ingredients into large bowl and combine.
-Turn dough onto floured surface; roll dough 1/4 inch thick.
-Using cookie cutters, biscuit cutter or water glass, cut out shapes.
-Place biscuits on parchment-lined or foil-lined baking sheets.
-Bake until bottoms are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
-Cool before serving or storing in air-tight container.

Egg Bread for Chickens
10 egg yolks or whole eggs
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup oatmeal
1/4c wheat germ or flax seed

Mix with enough water to make a batter.
Bake at 300F for about 1 hour.

And here are some of our recipes for horse treats.

Oat 'n' Apple Chewies for Horses
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup oat bran cereal or ground oatmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour (approx.)

Preheat oven to 350F. Oil a 9inch x 9inch square cake pan. Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
The batter will start to shrink away from the sides and it will be firm to the touch. Slice into squares while still warm.
Keep chewies in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or bag. Serve in moderation.

Molasses Cookies Horse Treats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bran
1 cup molasses
1 cup grated carrot or apple

Preheat oven to 375F

Oil two cookie sheets. Put aside a small bowl of white sugar and a drinking glass with a flat bottom.

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients thoroughly. The mixture shouldnt be too wet, and should stick together. Add more flour to make the mixture firmer and hold together if necessary.

Drop by teaspoonfuls, about 1 1/2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Grease the bottom of the glass, dip it in the sugar, and stamp the cookies to flatten them slightly. Bake for about 10 minutes.

This makes about 25 cookies, depending on the size. Store in an air-tight container or bag.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Other than bread, I don't even bake much for my boys....let alone dogs! :p :lol: I can't imagine even doing this! No offense, gals! :lol: You must really, really, really love these animals! :)