Homemade Velveeta Cheese

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Was reading some of the back posts on making cheese. I love to make my own cheese, but have only tried the soft cheeses. I'm hoping to make some ricotta tomorrow to go into lasagna. I have by-passed the velveeta cheese at the grocery store all year, but really wanted to make broccoli cheese soup with some homegrown frozen broccoli. Good ole Internet search and this is what I came up with. It's a bit creamier than store velveeta cheese, but I was pleased with it. I used it in the soup, melted over scrambled eggs, and melted some in with leftover taco meat to make a dip- it worked beautifully.

Homemade Velveeta Cheese

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk, microwaved until very hot
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (1/2 envelope)
1 1/2 pounds cheddar cheese, shredded (this is about 6 cups)

Directions
1. Line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap.
2. In a blender, put 1/2 cup of the hot milk and 1/2 teaspoon gelatin. Whip couple seconds to dissolve gelatin.
3. Quickly add 1/2 lb (2 cups) of cheese; whip until blended.

Note: The cheese mixture will cool and start to solidify, so don't blend too long. I thought mine would turn out to have shreds of cheese in the velveeta block, but it didn't.

4. Repeat twice more. I did not bother to rinse out the blender between batches, but I did rewarm the milk to make sure it was hot.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Keep in refrigerator.

Variations I am going to try soon! It would be easy to pour the cheese into a cute crock or reuse a margarine bowl.

Beer cheese: I think beer could be substituted for some or all of the milk. Add a little garlic.
Hot pepper spread: puree some hot peppers and add in with the cheese.
Bacon and onions and chives

Hmm, these may make good Christmas presents for next year!
Let me know how this recipe works out for you and any flavor variations!

Here is the original recipe. It uses dried milk which I don't care for.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Homemade-Velveeta-Substitute-Copycat-87384

YardFarmer Julie

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE Velveeta, especially mixed with ground up smoked sausage, on a sandwich roll, and broiled until brown. I have some extra cheddar right now, so this is going to get a try really soon.

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmm, just got some fresh homegrown sausage from a friend. May make some hamburger buns and give this a try. I would appreciate any improvements to the recipe with your expertise.

YardFarmer Julie

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Although I have never bought velveeta, so I don't know what it really like, I have melted a block of cream cheese with a bunch of sharp cheddar togther and a few spices to make a nice meltable, spreadable cheese. works great for nacho cheese, cheese whiz replacement. I twas so easy and good.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
But if you make your own, you control what cheese goes into it. And it's pretty much a cheese sauce in solid form. That's why I want to try it.

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made it because I wanted it to be quick to use (usually in the crock pot) on those crazy days we're running kids around and everyone's eating on a different schedule.

I love to make my own sauces and soups too. Very satisfying to know I can make something delicious that didn't come from a can.
Thanks for the cheese sauce link, ORChick. I like the recipes on that site.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It works. I make the exact same recipe with water instead of milk, and have not bought Velveeta cheese for close to 2 yrs. I've also found variations work well by simply using other cheeses - grated Swiss, Gouda, etc.

We really like the variations with added things such as herbs, onion or garlic, etc for cheese spreads. Use a little less cheese (or a little more liquid) to get a softer, more spreadable product.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The YardFarmers said:
I made it because I wanted it to be quick to use (usually in the crock pot) on those crazy days we're running kids around and everyone's eating on a different schedule.

I love to make my own sauces and soups too. Very satisfying to know I can make something delicious that didn't come from a can.
Thanks for the cheese sauce link, ORChick. I like the recipes on that site.
Some of them do look quite tasty, don't they? But I haven't tried any myself. This site was just the nicest of several that came up when I googled Cheese Soup.
And I'd like to add that I don't have any children in the house, and am retired, so I sometimes forget that not everybody has the same amount of time, or desire, to be in the kitchen that I do :lol: